Leptastrea vs acans - should I be worried?

Kongar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The good news: my Leptastrea is growing like a weed, and I think it looks fantastic.
The bad news: it's taking over my main rock, and seems to prefer high intensity light. It's approaching my acros and I'm worried it will kill my acro frags.

Will it eventually take over and kill off the acros? It's not like the stuff can be removed from live rock - it's totally encrusted. I could break off a chunk of live rock that has the leptastrea on it. I feel like this stuff is going to take over the whole tank, and I'm wondering if I should nip it in the bud now.

Anyone have leptastrea and can comment on it's invasiveness?

Thanks

EDIT: AND I meant Acros - not acans. Although it'll probably find it's way to my acans as well. :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If it encrusts over the acro, will be an issue,as it will block light needed for production of zooxanthelle (their food source)

OP
OP
Kongar

Kongar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it encrusts over the acro, will be an issue,as it will block light needed for production of zooxanthelle (their food source)
Seems like I'm a month away from this reality. The acros in question sit on a frag plug. I'm wondering if I'd be successful letting it surround the base of the frag plug - but scraping it away as climbs up the edge of the plug. I guess I don't know how to handle this coral. The word "encrusting" doesn't mean much when you're first starting out, but I guess you learn the hard way... ;)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Encrusting is when it covers the base and spreads out. It can and may crawl up which is where you have to decide how to contain it from doing just that.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back