Less fequent water change with skimmer?

Tangina20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a skimmer for my reef a few months ago for some reason I thought I could get away with doing my 10% weekly water change to 10% every 2 weeks when I got the skimmer. After reading more online I’m seeing I still need to do 10% a week or 20% every two weeks.

I plan on moving back to 10% a week. Since I’ve been doing 10% every 2 weeks, should I do a large water change to get back on track or do you think I will be fine continuing weekly changes considering my nutrients are in check from due to a low bioload.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do not need to do weekly water changes especially if you have a low bioload and your using a skimmer. I typically change approximately 10-15% every 2 or 3 weeks unless I’m having issues with my tanks.

OP
OP
Tangina20

Tangina20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do not need to do weekly water changes especially if you have a low bioload and your using a skimmer. I typically change approximately 10-15% every 2 or 3 weeks unless I’m having issues with my tanks.
Okay thanks!!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a skimmer for my reef a few months ago for some reason I thought I could get away with doing my 10% weekly water change to 10% every 2 weeks when I got the skimmer. After reading more online I’m seeing I still need to do 10% a week or 20% every two weeks.

I plan on moving back to 10% a week. Since I’ve been doing 10% every 2 weeks, should I do a large water change to get back on track or do you think I will be fine continuing weekly changes considering my nutrients are in check from due to a low bioload.

I would not assume that skimming necessarily lessens the need for water changes.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back