Less than ideal light choice?

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While creating the hardware list for my new tank, I automatically went with Aqua Illumination because these were the last lights I had over a tank. This was when LED's were first hitting the market, and didnt have a huge track record. The current light setup I have (still in box) is two AI Fifty-Two HD's and aquatic life's hybrid fixture.

My second guessing is due to my respect for BRS. They have access to all the best hardware with the ability test and measure to an almost unlimited extent.

BRS doesn't spend much time on the Fifty-two. One short clip tries to compare it to a radeon. In another, Ryan says he flat out prefers Kessil.

Should I have went radeon or Kessil instead?

Note: My tank is 44x36x25

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, Ross, there are many, many choices out there that will grow beautiful SPS and the 52 is one of them.

If you haven't gotten them yet or can return them, why not look into some of the less expensive alternatives? There are many reefers that use less expensive brands with fantastic results.

Just my .02

Saintnovakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of 52HDs and they do the job more than adequately. You can also configure them to the AB+ Spectrum as outlined in the BRS video. My tank is 4.5 feet long and they cover it fine Depending on where you place them you can get your low light areas on the sides or in the middle. If you haven't bought them yet, go with 3 26HD if your tank is long.

The 52s are great coverage but they arent, deceivingly, twice as powerful as the 26. Will still cook every coral under it easily though. Lol.

I have a kessil 360WE in the centre of my tank to bring up the lower light area in the middle as well as give me that nice sunlight look in the morning and moonlight look at night because it's first on and last off.

In all fairness, most will spend on the most expensive thing on the market hoping to have a sense of guarantee that they are giving the best chance possible for coral growth ie, the Radion Heads. My take is, that if AI wasn't already doing something great then Ecotech wouldn't have bought them.

Lastly, you have T5 hybrid so pretty much anything you throw under them led wise will grow coral no problem. Even "Kessils".

Back