Let’s build a sump! Game

Trillaman954

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
let’s play a game!

I need to build a 19 gallon sump refugium and see many Ideas from all over the web and especially you guys here. So I was thinking why not have everybody on this forum throw an idea in piece by piece until we find a nice design and I build it.

First thing I bought:

10 gallon aquarium from petco.

Next idea?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your dimensions? 19 gallon is your volume.

What equipment do you want to have room for?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my design but probably won't fit your dimensions. Great emphasis on the fuge in this one.
1000001031.jpg

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HOB refugium can boost water quality, aid in nutrient management and give a good home to copepods.
IMG_3323.jpeg

OP
OP
Trillaman954

Trillaman954

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
let’s play a game!

I need to build a 19 gallon sump refugium and see many Ideas from all over the web and especially you guys here. So I was thinking why not have everybody on this forum throw an idea in piece by piece until we find a nice design and I build it.

First thing I bought:

10 gallon aquarium from petco.

Next idea?
image.jpg

Don’t mind the evil husky

reefadam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your dimensions? 19 gallon is your volume.

What equipment do you want to have room for?
Agree with this, I would first look at maximum dimensions, considering plumbing, cabinet space, doors, etc and seek to get the largest reservoir possible to start.
A 10 gal makes for a small capacity of roughly 5 gals that can fluctuate quite a lot in water height in my experience. If you have room, a 20 would offer a bit more room and stability

OP
OP
Trillaman954

Trillaman954

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with this, I would first look at maximum dimensions, considering plumbing, cabinet space, doors, etc and seek to get the largest reservoir possible to start.
A 10 gal makes for a small capacity of roughly 5 gals that can fluctuate quite a lot in water height in my experience. If you have room, a 20 would offer a bit more room and stability
How about a 15? And I returned the 10.

reefadam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 15 would be better, but really it comes down to space.
What are your goals for this sump? Do you want a refugium ? Skimmer? Mat roller ? Sock holder? Reactor? None of these are “necessary equipment” so to speak, but it will give you a better idea for design when you Address these ideas.
Also what’s the max footprint the sump could be? Is it going in a stand ?
Is the display 19 gals ?

OP
OP
Trillaman954

Trillaman954

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your goals for this sump? Do you want a refugium ? Skimmer? Mat roller ? Sock holder? Reactor? None of these are “necessary equipment” so to speak, but it will give you a better idea for design when you Address these ideas.
Is the display 19 gals
Is the display 19 gals ?
Dt is 20 gallons. And yes I am adding refugium to sump. Skimmer and everything that we can possibly add to that 15 gallon tank. It’s diy so we can get creative. My ultimate goal is to hide as much clutter as I can out of the 20 gallon hex.

OP
OP
Trillaman954

Trillaman954

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the display 19 gals ?
And also auto dosers if possible

JoeyBagadonuts

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You definitely want to get the maximum size sump you can fit. I diy’ed the stand for my 75gal. Because I need room underneath for a 5gal top off jug as well as three dosing containers (Voss bottles) I am only able to fit a 20gal sump. I had a local glass shop cut me panels to separate two sections. I have enough room for my skimmer and a little space to have some rubble and grow chaeto. And then a small section for the return pump which also where my probes, ato sensor, and doser tube holder goes. The 20 isn‘t quite big enough to have three sections. If I didn’t need to have the top off container there, I would have a larger three section sump. That way I could have a true refugium. That being said, it still works. I grow chaeto and have lots of pods. You do what you can with the space you have.

OP
OP
Trillaman954

Trillaman954

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You definitely want to get the maximum size sump you can fit. I diy’ed the stand for my 75gal. Because I need room underneath for a 5gal top off jug as well as three dosing containers (Voss bottles) I am only able to fit a 20gal sump. I had a local glass shop cut me panels to separate two sections. I have enough room for my skimmer and a little space to have some rubble and grow chaeto. And then a small section for the return pump which also were my probes, ato sensor, and doser tube holder goes. The 20 isn‘t quite big enough to have three sections. If I didn’t need to have the top off container there, I would have a larger three section sump. That way I could have a true refugium. That being said, it still works. I grow chaeto and have lots of pods. You do what you can with the space you have.
I went with a hex. Now just adding different macros
662B0BAC-E8F4-4135-B7C1-BEDF96F82B9E.jpeg
662B0BAC-E8F4-4135-B7C1-BEDF96F82B9E.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back