Let’s talk about sharks

6 feet is fine for what you’re looking to do. The 300 gallon Rob has is great; there are also round 6 foot pools of about the same volume.

The most important component of any shark tank’s filtration is going to be a protein skimmer. Get one rated for no less than 500 gallons. From there, I’m a bit of a dinosaur in this regard but I’m still a fan of trickle filters because they can handle high flow, they oxygenate and are cheap to set up. I would not use one without a refuge or algae reactor, though, because they produce a lot of nitrates.
 
Ok I have idea what if I take a 10 gallon and attach it to the sump as a dedicated refugium and have it connected to the tank to have some fish live in the femur as like a ecosystem in the refugium.
 
This what I was thinking but I might have to go bigger. I use a 20 or bigger for a refugium with wish as kinda of a display refugium
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 18
That’s up to you but you should not go smaller than 55 imo. The alternative would be to skip the refuge and do a large sump with plenty of rock rubble/other media. In that case I’d go even larger, but you could just use another trough for that. Dialing up the skimmer would help too.

Lastly, it always helps to have a UV sterilizer, and don’t forget that everything (including heaters) should be in-line, not submersible.
 
This what I was thinking but I might have to go bigger. I use a 20 or bigger for a refugium with wish as kinda of a display refugium
here are a few pics of sump/fuge set up I had initially on my 180 it might give you some ideas 0629222033b.jpg 0716221555a (1).jpg 0731220911.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 1 16.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new