Let Me ID Your Wrasse!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchased as c. lubbocki. Is it? Doesn't seem to match the colors I see looking them up. He(?)'s pretty shy compared to the c. aurantidorsalis and c. naokaoe I have, who are both quite inquisitive. Just under 3 weeks left in QT. I've never had fish make me want to skip QT as bad as these guys have.
IMG_1367.jpg IMG_1371.jpg IMG_1435.jpg IMG_1437.jpg

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchased as c. lubbocki. Is it? Doesn't seem to match the colors I see looking them up. He(?)'s pretty shy compared to the c. aurantidorsalis and c. naokaoe I have, who are both quite inquisitive. Just under 3 weeks left in QT. I've never had fish make me want to skip QT as bad as these guys have.
IMG_1367.jpg IMG_1371.jpg IMG_1435.jpg IMG_1437.jpg
Yes, that is a male lubbocki.

Foggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, any ideas on this one? I know he is a Pencil Wrasse (Pseudojuloides Fowler), but which type please?

IMG_1814E1DC97A2-1.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, any ideas on this one? I now he is a Pencil Wrasse (Pseudojuloides Fowler), but which type please?

IMG_1814E1DC97A2-1.jpeg
Pseudojuloides splendens (male)

offtropic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H. ornatissimus or claudia? I bought it a few months ago as a small juvenile (about 1.5") thinking it was claudia but it has grown quickly (almost 3.5" now), is pretty dominant and just wrecks inverts. I have a hard time telling from pictures online as there seems to be a lack of consistency (and knowledge). Temperament seems more what is described here as ornatissimus. Either way, think I'll have to trade him in at the LFS :(.

IMG-1085.JPG
IMG-1087.JPG

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H. ornatissimus or claudia? I bought it a few months ago as a small juvenile (about 1.5") thinking it was claudia but it has grown quickly (almost 3.5" now), is pretty dominant and just wrecks inverts. I have a hard time telling from pictures online as there seems to be a lack of consistency (and knowledge). Temperament seems more what is described here as ornatissimus. Either way, think I'll have to trade him in at the LFS :(.

IMG-1085.JPG
IMG-1087.JPG
That's a mature H. biocellatus.

offtropic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a mature H. biocellatus.
Well darn! That had crossed my mind as well but descriptions of them being docile and reef(invert)-safe had me thinking otherwise. This guy is super active and a voracious predator who is the dominant fish in the tank. Guess that shows how variable any given individual might be.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well darn! That had crossed my mind as well but descriptions of them being docile and reef(invert)-safe had me thinking otherwise. This guy is super active and a voracious predator who is the dominant fish in the tank. Guess that shows how variable any given individual might be.

I've had one for about 3 months, so I'm curious.. What size tank/fellow inhabitants? Was it always aggressive?

Like you, all I've read about them is they're peaceful and mostly invert safe. Bummer yours has a mean streak

offtropic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had one for about 3 months, so I'm curious.. What size tank/fellow inhabitants? Was it always aggressive?

Like you, all I've read about them is they're peaceful and mostly invert safe. Bummer yours has a mean streak
90 gallon (4') reef tank shared with 2 ocellaris, 1 yellow tail flasher wrasse, 1 pintail wrasse, 1 king midas blenny, and 1 foxface so not very crowded. I had a diamond watchman goby just disappear and not sure if the biocellatus is to blame. He has always been really been really active and only aggressive with new fish but an acclimation box seemed to fix that for the most-part. Snails and shrimp will get eaten almost immediately even if introduced carefully in the dark.

senorpyro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys, I'd appreciate a quick look as I confirm these two:

They were sold as H. Claudia and C. Rubripinnis... I'm pretty sure it's actually a Biocellatus rather than a Claudia, which I'm totally fine with - do the experts agree? I'm curious if the Rubripinnis labelling holds up also, though to my inexperienced eye it looks plausible.

IMG_6844.JPG

IMG_6823.JPG

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm no expert and can't help on the fairy wrasse, but the halichoeres looks just like mine which is a biocellatus! awesome fish

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys, I'd appreciate a quick look as I confirm these two:

They were sold as H. Claudia and C. Rubripinnis... I'm pretty sure it's actually a Biocellatus rather than a Claudia, which I'm totally fine with - do the experts agree? I'm curious if the Rubripinnis labelling holds up also, though to my inexperienced eye it looks plausible.

IMG_6844.JPG

IMG_6823.JPG
Definitely biocellatus, and probably rubripinnis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back