Ok I have one more

9224b5cfdbf23e77b59e419259c023e1.jpg

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a wrasse Id but wondering where @evolved and @eatbreakfast learnt your stuff. I like to think I'm ok at id's but wondering if I'm missing a great resource somewhere. I know a lot is just simply experience but you had to start somewhere.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a wrasse Id but wondering where @evolved and @eatbreakfast learnt your stuff. I like to think I'm ok at id's but wondering if I'm missing a great resource somewhere. I know a lot is just simply experience but you had to start somewhere.
For IDs, Fishbase.org
Fishwisepro.com can sometimes have additional pictures.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a fan of Kuiter's wrasse book, fishbase, and Fishes of the East Indies by Allen and Erdmann. But firsthand experience with most of the wrasses in the trade helps most.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cone on @eatbreakfast ! TJ didn’t tell you the truth where he has a secret 10000 gallons dedicated to only wrasses ! Heard he still cannot keep pairs of fairies long term though :p

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a semi-photographic memory, so by and large a lot of them just end up in my head after I see them once. I do still have to go back to a reference sometimes when I know there are 2 similar species. And sometimes Google helps me get the Latin spelling right when I know "it's something kinda like..."

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is Scott W. Michael's "Wrasses & Parrotfishes?" I have some of the others in the series, and I like them, but haven't really studied wrasses as closely in the past.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is Scott W. Michael's "Wrasses & Parrotfishes?" I have some of the others in the series, and I like them, but haven't really studied wrasses as closely in the past.
It's decent, but not one I own. I only find both of Kuiter's books to be worth it.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's decent, but not one I own. I only find both of Kuiter's books to be worth it.

I may have to order one of Kuiter's books. The one that I've been able to find on amazon looks like it may only cover fairies/flashers, and may not include Coris, Halichoeres, hogfish, etc.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have to order one of Kuiter's books. The one that I've been able to find on amazon looks like it may only cover fairies/flashers, and may not include Coris, Halichoeres, hogfish, etc.
You want:
Labridae Fishes: Wrasses by Rudie Kuiter
But it can be hard to find, and usually pricey when you do find it.

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I have another misidentified fairy wrasse. It was sold as a "magma top flame fin wrasse" - lol

I think it might be a juvenille P. octotaenia, but Im having a hard time getting a good picture of it in non-stressed coloration. I did get a good shot of the dorsal and tail fins though, and figured it was worth a shot to see if I guessed right. Hopefully, I'll have a better "natural coloration" shot this evening.

IMG_0425.jpg
IMG_0428.jpg

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I have another misidentified fairy wrasse. It was sold as a "magma top flame fin wrasse" - lol

I think it might be a juvenille P. octotaenia, but Im having a hard time getting a good picture of it in non-stressed coloration. I did get a good shot of the dorsal and tail fins though, and figured it was worth a shot to see if I guessed right. Hopefully, I'll have a better "natural coloration" shot this evening.

IMG_0425.jpg
IMG_0428.jpg
Definitely a Cirrhilabrus, but we'll need a better picture still. Some indications of pylei or rubrimarginatus, but not definitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back