Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLibs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unidentified flasher wrasse.... Would love to know species and sex ?

IMG_20191028_173528.jpg IMG_20191028_173527.jpg

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unidentified flasher wrasse.... Would love to know species and sex ?

IMG_20191028_173528.jpg IMG_20191028_173527.jpg
P. carpenteri or P. mccoskeri - need to see the fins a bit better in order to distinguish. How many dorsal filaments are present?
It's a male, regardless.

EricLibs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P. carpenteri or P. mccoskeri - need to see the fins a bit better in order to distinguish. How many dorsal filaments are present?
It's a male, regardless.

Thank you for the reply !!! so hard to get a picture of but it looks to me like there's just one small dorsal filament... If that's the case it would make it a sub adult male mccoskeri correct ?

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply !!! so hard to get a picture of but it looks to me like there's just one small dorsal filament... If that's the case it would make it a sub adult male mccoskeri correct ?
Correct- only 1 filament then mccoskeri; more than 1 is carpenteri.

Dempsey941

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy at my LFS today was labeled "Assorted Fairy Wrasse", but I'm thinking its P.mccoskeri or carpenteri
20191029_110412.jpg

Dempsey941

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep looking at LA its the same guy, he's got some attitude kept those cinnamon clowns in the back in check.

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Hunter... was reading through your reef safe wrasse article (which is very informative)... and wanted to know what one of the wrasses pictured was... couldn’t find it anywhere. This is the photo from your article:

11D106A0-AD32-42AD-A96E-D8A591B37EBD.jpeg

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Hunter... was reading through your reef safe wrasse article (which is very informative)... and wanted to know what one of the wrasses pictured was... couldn’t find it anywhere. This is the photo from your article:

11D106A0-AD32-42AD-A96E-D8A591B37EBD.jpeg
H. timorensis, male.

xRob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies for the terrible photo but: mccoskeri right? Just double checking as he's recently coloured up a lot, assuming finishing the transition to full male and with it has come quite the attitude change towards my p. flavianalis (also full male)! I wish I had taken the chance to add a third flasher species back when I stocked my tank in order to balance any aggression from the most dominant fish, I wonder if it's too risky now.

IMG_6927.jpg

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies for the terrible photo but: mccoskeri right? Just double checking as he's recently coloured up a lot, assuming finishing the transition to full male and with it has come quite the attitude change towards my p. flavianalis (also full male)! I wish I had taken the chance to add a third flasher species back when I stocked my tank in order to balance any aggression from the most dominant fish, I wonder if it's too risky now.

IMG_6927.jpg
I'd need to see the fins - could be either mccoserki or carpenteri from that view.
Adding a third could be possible now, but best done with an acclimation box.

xRob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd need to see the fins - could be either mccoserki or carpenteri from that view.
Adding a third could be possible now, but best done with an acclimation box.

Thanks, it only has the one filament so must be mccoskeri. If I introduce a third species do you think it would be likely to calm things down a bit by spreading the aggression? Since the mccoskers finished his transition my yellowfin has pretty much adopted permanent stress colouration and tends to only come out during feeding time before being chased back into hiding. I was hoping the situation would improve on its own but after a few weeks there has been no change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back