Let Me ID Your Wrasse!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhantomHalo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I picked this guy up last night. He was eating mysis great and the guy has had him in his tank for about 3 years. My question is, he was sold to me as a Hawaiian cleaner wrasse, but he looks more like a blue streak cleaner wrasse. The lights make everything look really blue for some reason, but he has a vibrant blue tail and yellow head. Also, this was my Christmas wrasse purchase from a few weeks ago. Which species of Christmas wrasse is he? He only has one dot on his dorsal fin. Thank you!!
72BFC1C0-23BC-4125-9E0A-E7C09C718302.jpeg
7EB38821-CB16-4339-87F2-273F5A9673F1.jpeg 26BCB98C-23FF-4E96-8D99-700C8E767227.jpeg 6373B7F5-1233-4555-BDE5-E1FCE7BA0E3F.jpeg 520BC5D4-EBD0-4676-AD90-8A10B0019D4A.jpeg A05B4CAE-9802-48F1-BF4D-3A85EF2B9593.jpeg 2162FE33-C76D-4302-BC22-B4257C182EB2.jpeg

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the christmas wrasse is h. biocellatus

idk on the cleaner wrasse, looks like a blue streak to me, but i've only seen a hawaiian cleaner wrasse in person once. it had a lot more yellow if memory serves

PhantomHalo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet! I was hoping he wasn’t a Halichoeres ornatissumus. All the had labeled him as was Halichoeres sp. at the local pet store. Just curious and not sure if it matters but, doesn’t the biocellatus have two spots on the back fin though?
I was thinking blue streak and the price reflected that, but wasn’t 100% sure since I can’t tell too much of a difference other than there being maybe slightly more yellow. (The pics aren’t the best of him though.)

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet! I was hoping he wasn’t a Halichoeres ornatissumus. All the had labeled him as was Halichoeres sp. at the local pet store. Just curious and not sure if it matters but, doesn’t the biocellatus have two spots on the back fin though?
I was thinking blue streak and the price reflected that, but wasn’t 100% sure since I can’t tell too much of a difference other than there being maybe slightly more yellow. (The pics aren’t the best of him though.)

when it was a juvenile/female, looks like yours just has one left? so it's transitioning and should be male (no eyespots) soon

IMG_0671.JPG

i thought mine was still female there, but evolved said it's the eyespots how you can tell. love that fish! although i think he merked my cleaner shrimp :oops:

PhantomHalo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. That makes sense! Yeah, mine only has one left. He’s pretty big. I’ve been debating on trying a cleaner shrimp, but with my 3 triggers (Pink tail, blue jaw, black) I think he’ll just be an expensive lunch. If yours may have gotten your shrimp then that’s just one more reason not to try it. I have a Moyers wrasse in with them too, but I don’t think he’ll go after the shrimp.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
idk, it could've just died. but the red line was really interested in the corpse.. lol

most people say they leave most inverts alone, and mine mostly has, except the odd shrimp death. i did add a small peppermint and he left it alone who knows

PhantomHalo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some aptasia that came in on some frags. So I have been looking at peppermint shrimp too. Maybe if I can find them cheap enough I’ll pick a few up. I’ll be putting a puffer in the tank a few months from now. I know they be gone then unless I can catch them and throw them in the sump. However, I’m hoping they can do the job before that.

Last edited:

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the H. biocellatus . I had one for about 10 years and it didn't bother anything. Unfortunately, it jumped; I grabbed it right away and put it back in the tank, but it was never the same and died a few months later. I finally managed to find a juvie a few weeks ago. Great fish.

Conor_K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C. cyanogularis

Well that might be the fastest response I have ever received on R2R.
Great news though, I was leaning that way, but it was sold to me as a "high fin."
Glad to find out he won't turn into the tank jerk over time.

Cheers,
C

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that might be the fastest response I have ever received on R2R.
Great news though, I was leaning that way, but it was sold to me as a "high fin."
Glad to find out he won't turn into the tank jerk over time.

Cheers,
C
Well, unfortunately this whole complex has same propensity to turn into jerks. You'll have to keep an eye on it.

Conor_K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, unfortunately this whole complex has same propensity to turn into jerks. You'll have to keep an eye on it.

By complex do you mean wrasse in general or Cirrhilabrus specifically? i was under the impression that most wrasse are relatively peaceful? I have definitely caught the bug after adding this guy so I'm hopeful I can add one or two more variants in the future..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 40 48.2%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 43 51.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 18 21.7%
  • None.

Votes: 22 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.6%

Back