Let Me ID Your Wrasse!

  • Thread starter Thread starter evolved
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
In order to further this fascinating discussion, I'll throw my $0.02
I sold the wrasse.
It came in as Katherines, and I sold it as such.
I do not believe it's a Temmincki.
All the temmincki I've seen coming out of Philipines have a distinct green line from front to back.
Kind of like this


upload_2016-1-28_13-13-48.jpeg


It's not a text book Katherine (if one could find a textbook that had Katherines), but to me, that's still the best guess.
I've handled under 10 of these, so not a ton of experience.
But the ones I've seen vary greatly in coloring.
Kind of like Scott's fairies.

Anyway, just thought I'd stir the pot so to speak.
 
The whole temminckii complex is a confusing mess.

I'm of the opinion katherinae isn't a "real" thing either, but I've seen both sides of the fence labeled as such; cf. temminckii and balteatus.
 
Cirrhilabrus cf. lunatus; (Philippine variant).
 
And the latter one is Cirrhilabrus cf. lanceolatus (soon to be described as C. isosceles).

It's worth noting both of those species are close cousins (cf. lunatus and cf. lanceolatus).
 
Are you actually looking for IDs on all of these or did you intend to place these photos in the "wrasse lovers" thread? (I'll move them if so)
 
Alright, let's go over them:
I'm hoping this is the same fish, but also C. cf. lanceolatus.

C. cf. lanceolatus in the foreground. C. jordani behind it (directly over the dorsal in the background).

C. rhomboidalis

Halichoeres melanurus

C. laboutei at the center right of the photo

jordani and rhomboidalis again. At the lower right is a Macropharyngodon bipartitus. Towards the top of the photo, below the jordani, and in the background, is a C. lubbocki (Cebu variant) - the one with the blue stripe near its back.

Paracheilinus mccoskeri front and center, probably Macropharyngodon ornatus at the bottom of the photo (else it's a male bipartitus; I can't quite be sure with the motion blur).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new