Let nature play out or declare war?

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm about 2.5 months into my new build, so very young. Used 50bs of dry rock as base, let ammonia and nitrites spike. As soon as I saw nitrates I added 30 lbs of live rock from kpaquatics. The liverock was cured for a couple weeks and was fully cycled prior to adding. After that the cycle completed quickly and a small diatom bloom started. Added a very small CUC and the diatoms were wiped out almost overnight, tank looks pretty good. That was 2 weeks ago.

What im scared of is there looks to be very fine hair like algae similar to bryposis on the dry rock and maybe a small amount of a wiry like algae on the liverock. I'm assuming this is all hitchhiked in on the kpaquatics rock.

I know all dry rock tanks get plagued by algaes that didnt plague old live rock tank. Is that specific to dinos or all algaes?

How concerned should I be? Using liverock will nature just work it's way to harmony as long as I practice good husbandry and maintenance in addition to a varied cuc and utility fish? Tank is 90 gallon so I have options and could add a small rabbitfish or foxface.

Being I used liverock from kp I so not want to nuke. I knew good and bad comes from liverock but good outweighs and hopefully bad is kept at bay and easy to control.

OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should mention my CUC is consisting of 3 turbos, 20 ceriths, and 5 astrea.

Some of this bryopsis looking algae does slowly get eatin at night but not completely and they seem to favor other algae first. .

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae is just part of a tank. Give it time to mature, and personally, i would add a larger CUC before jumping into a foxface. You probably dont want to spend 50-100 dollars on a fish that might not do anything to solve your problem. For the CUC, i think some turbo snails would be good.

OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is going to go through some ugly stages as it matures, even with cycled rock. My nano was overrun with hair algae and it eventually went away on its own. Give it time to work itself out.
Agreed, If this is just gha then I am not too concerned. It's the fact it looks like a small feather typical of bryposis that has me concerned as i read that causes tear downs.

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An urchin would also be a good option. My pincushion, when it is on the rock, destroys the hair algae, but he normally just stays on the glass :/. Now I am trying a yellow tang.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,keep that skimmer going ,and roll with it,jmo :)

OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae is just part of a tank. Give it time to mature, and personally, i would add a larger CUC before jumping into a foxface. You probably dont want to spend 50-100 dollars on a fish that might not do anything to solve your problem. For the CUC, i think some turbo snails would be good.
I'm at least a couple months away from adding fish, just a future possibility. Didnt want to starve snails so went smaller to start.

OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi,keep that skimmer going ,and roll with it,jmo :)
I have the skimmer going but not collecting yet. Might start soon but there hasnt been a ton of
organics to collect. Nitratesare 5-10, phos is a little high at 50 ppb with checker. Started at 92, probably time to change out my phosguard again.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back