Lethargic Anthias - no other visible symptoms

jeffberens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My male Anthias went from completely normal after 3 months in my DT with 3 females to all of a sudden hiding on the bottom substrate in a cave and not coming out.
I tried feeding, but no response. I was able to easily catch him and get a quick hospital tank going with DT water and a sponge from my sump.
I can't see any visible symptoms and he seems to be breathing slightly fast, but not much different than normal. I can actually touch him before he will wriggle away to escape.
What should I attempt to save him. I have numerous medications on hand, but I don't have a good guess as to what is wrong.

OP
OP
jeffberens

jeffberens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little more info:

Other fish include 3 female dispar anthias, midas blenny, yellow coris wrasse and 2 clownfish.
Other tank inhabitants include 2 cleaner shrimp, 4 peppermint shrimp, 1 fire shrimp, various hermits and snails for CUC.

Red Sea Reefer 525XL which is 108 gal plus sump.

The midas blenny and the male anthias in question did harass eachother a little at first about 10 days ago when the midas blenny and wrasse were added, but nothing really dramatic.

All fish went through complete QT with copper for 30 days before they went to the DT. The blenny and wrasse were added 10 days ago and the rest have been in the DT for 2 months.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't see any red marks, blotches or streaks on the anthias? Even just a darkening of their pink color anywhere? Did you treat with prazi during QT or only copper?

OP
OP
jeffberens

jeffberens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning he is exactly the same. He looks perfectly healthy in appearance, but is just in the bottom corner of the tank and doesn't move or eat.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it thin? Can you post photos?

A common issue with Anthias is that in home aquaria they aren't fed frequently enough for their high metabolisms. To further exacerbate the issue, many of us don't feed the types of foods they need/want to thrive. So you can be feeding it and it still drop weight over time and become malnourished.

This is also true of moorish idol but access to nori fixes that in idols many times, is less helpful here.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ Good advice; is his breathing still normal or has it accelerated?

Also, have you added any new corals/inverts to the DT recently?

OP
OP
jeffberens

jeffberens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He seems plump enough. I feed 4 to 5 times a day and up until yesterday, he was one of the best eaters in the tank. No new inverts or corals for about 2 weeks. Those were some SPS frags that were dipped and rinsed 3 times in tank water before going into the DT.
Here is picture:

MaleAnthias.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think all you can do right now is wait & see. You don't want to start dosing medications without a possible diagnosis.

OP
OP
jeffberens

jeffberens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think all you can do right now is wait & see. You don't want to start dosing medications without a possible diagnosis.
That is what I figured. When should I start being concerned that he is not eating? Should I try some live foods?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would give it a few days before becoming too concerned. Can you get live blackworms?

Or live brine. I find anthias like smaller foods that are moving in a current. They seem to react better to it.... though blackworms are surely healthier!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
X2 I'm no anthia expert but find that they find live brine irresistible when I've advised people to use it.

Or live brine. I find anthias like smaller foods that are moving in a current. They seem to react better to it.... though blackworms are surely healthier!

OP
OP
jeffberens

jeffberens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will get both tomorrow and give them a try. This is strange considering he would eat frozen mysis, brine, etc. like a pig for 2 months and he is the male in a group with 3 females. They are all acting normal, but something happened with him.
I'm puzzled.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could one of your females be challenging him? Was he male when you got him, or did you buy a group of females and let one turn male?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll say that if/when he recovers from this, he may have an issue once returned to the display. I had an issue with my male who developed a pretty severe infection. He fought it off, but when he returned to the group a new male had started changing. He was demoted and his colors dulled, but they let him hang with them anyway. :)

OP
OP
jeffberens

jeffberens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is still just laying in the bottom corner of the hospital tank and doesn't even acknowledge food.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There could be aggression happening, either overnight or when the house is quiet.

I think sometimes a male ends up in a group of females where he "under-ranks" the dominant female and there needs to a changing of the guards. Sometimes the new "male" will tolerate the former. Sometimes, they don't. I think that's why I've heard it's best to get all females and let them sort it out from the start [emoji15]

Do you have a female that is larger than the rest?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back