lets be controversial... what say you

Lizbeli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After upgrading to the largest system I have had I decided to quarantine fish. But I only watch them for two weeks and if anything seems wrong then I treat with meds. However I just learned my new lfs treats all fish in copper. Im not sure if I will continue quarantining. Might just keep the tank as a hospital tank. Not sure!

I temp acclimate corals and dip in bayer. I have never dripped acclimated coral and never had an issue. I do drip shrimp though. I just feel like they could be more sensitive?

drblakjak55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefing only three years. Fishkeeping 50+. After temp acclimation all corals dipped/shaken in bayers half cap into 4oz 30 seconds. Rinsed in RODI 30 seconds than into DT on frag rack after bright light inspection for several days of watching.
Fish. Quarantine ALL at the Quality Inn six weeks. Get used to your water and food and you.
I have never medicated. They’re strong enough to get over what they harbor or they die.

B7Joe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frag plugs are evil. Just a few minutes ago I removed and re-mounted the one coral that was still on a frag plug in my tank. The way I mounted the coral originally I couldn’t even see it, but I knew it was there, and it had to go. :)

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I condition my fish in a separate tank that is well established with rock and macro and then into the DT they go.

I like fish first...not enough for a FOWLR but enough to keep with caution fish and to pick corals around them. I get more excited over rare and difficult fish.

B7Joe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow tang looks like Big Bird’s head floating around the tank and my clown fish looks perpetually drunk. :)

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I drip fish if bought local, if they were shipped, they get floated, same with coral.

burnetb1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm more of a coral guy than fish, but honestly I find myself watching the inverts the most. With my previous tank I never quarantined and got lucky enough to avoid anything bad. Only starting dipping corals towards the end. I'm tank-less for the moment, but will be building a 120 or 150 in the next couple years.

I find there are two major types of reefers. Those who want diversity in the tank and welcome hitchhikers, and those that don't and take a more laboratory/clean room mentality. I started off reefing in the first group, but now that I have had a tank for years, when I do my new setup, it will be completely clean and everything will be quarantined and monitored before it goes in the DT.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back