Let's build a trap door leading to a secret fish room under my porch!

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been lurking in this thread and I must say WOW, I'm impressed!
Thank you!

You know your kids are gonna want to do an overnight campout in there at some point. I know I would.
Yes it has come up. I’m worried about head bumps though haha.

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Added a school of dispars a couple days ago. Fully quarantined from Fishotel! Sorry for the messy picture I was feeding them.

IMG_3941.jpeg

Elbereth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following! I love DIY so this thread is really inspiring. As is your ability to just go for it and work things out as they come up!

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Day 13. Junction boxes installed. Ran cable for electrical outlets and light, just need to join to circuit. Started running plumbing.

The multi-conductor cable for the Hydros runs got here too late today so I’ll install that tomorrow. Boxes are in and studs drilled so it won’t take long.

IMG_3965.jpeg

IMG_3966.jpeg
IMG_3968.jpeg

Tomorrow I’m going to plumb the freshwater line over to my laundry closet where the RODI filter will live.

This should all go pretty quick now that I have most of the details worked out to support what I want to do.

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Absolutely. I struggle with perfectionism and anxiety around doing things "right" which really bog me down when it comes to big projects. :angry-face:
I suffer from the exact same problems. It’s taken my entire life to learn other ways to work. I can easily over-think things to the point of making a project insurmountable, so I try to just get started and let it come together.

Elbereth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suffer from the exact same problems. It’s taken my entire life to learn other ways to work. I can easily over-think things to the point of making a project insurmountable, so I try to just get started and let it come together.
That makes it even more impressive what you're doing here! I'm trying to learn to work around the problem too but not quite there yet. I'm having so much trouble planning my first plumbed system with sump - something so simple for most aquarists here!

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That makes it even more impressive what you're doing here! I'm trying to learn to work around the problem too but not quite there yet. I'm having so much trouble planning my first plumbed system with sump - something so simple for most aquarists here!
Draw it out and ignore all the unessential things at first (like unions and valves). Figure out the bare minimum version that will work and then tweak it from there one thing at a time.

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Day 14. Ran more wiring and trying to finalize where things will go.

I ran all the cable for in-wall Hydros runs. There will be one box by the RODI with two sense port cables in the wall. Another box by the salt tanks where all the Hydros cables meet up. From there, a few other 6-conductor Hydros cables run back to the display. These are for linking command bus and 0-10v to the X4.

I added the 0-10v cable so I can put eTape water level sensors in each salt tank if I want to.

IMG_3994.jpeg

The Hydros box is the top one with the black cables.

IMG_3991.jpeg

The entire thing is loaded with termites right now. Maybe hard to see in the picture. These are big ones, bigger than a grain of rice. Every year at this time we get massive swarms of these. There are thousands of them just around our house. They are attracted to light so when you see them you have to turn off all your lights. Last night I saw them too late so they caught us with the lights on. These are damp-wood termites and are not a threat to your home… they can’t start a colony in your house lumber because it is too dry for them!

IMG_3989.jpeg

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
love this build, are you putting in pot lights?

No because the 2x8 joists hang down every 32” and I’d need two lights in between each one to not get weird shadows. I’m using a few low-profile wall sconces instead, 36” off floor. Trying to keep it simple!

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Day 15. Another 90 minutes spent, this time under my house. I ran the electrical from the porch room across and over to my display tank. One 12-2 for plain power, plus another two 12-2 for Hydros-controlled pump runs.

Also ran two 6-conductor 22AWG
for Hydros.

Unfortunately I forgot to take pictures when I was done! I’ll get more tomorrow.

This is under the display tank. That big beam is reinforcement I added directly under the front of the stand. The jacks are bolted to concrete pads. There’s 3000 pounds sitting here, so I sleep better at night knowing I did this.

IMG_4010.jpeg

Next picture. This is the wall behind my display tank. When I installed it, I put in two dedicated 20A circuits (the yellow wires). Now I need to run another wire in for the porch power, and two more for the pump pass-thrus to the Hydros XP-8. But there is no room! I’ll have to drill new holes. Thankfully, before I put in the tank I installed an access door in the wall so I can get a drill in there and drill down through the plate into the crawlspace.

Those pipes were put in at the time for future expansion. I might use one to pass 1/4” RODI tubing thru the wall!

IMG_4009.jpeg

I still need to run the RODI tubing. Waiting on that to arrive. But I can do that any time later. I’ll install one of these “brush plates” in the wall in front of the opening in the foundation so I can always pass things through as needed.

IMG_4011.png

Hopefully this isn’t getting too boring. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Day 16. Insect attacks and wall paneling.

I finished up the wiring and other utilities. I got stung by a wasp while doing that. But I won in the end and he is smashed on the wall.

IMG_4023.jpeg

My goal was to get some wall paneling up. I got two pieces up, couldn’t even nail the second one on because termites attacked suddenly. As soon as the sun went down there were thousands. They were crawling all over me so bad I couldn’t work and had to stop. But I did get some paneling done!!

IMG_4027.jpeg

My phone camera wouldn’t capture the termites, there’s like 50x more in this picture than you cansee.

IMG_4026.jpeg

Termites all over!…

IMG_4029.jpeg

IMG_4028.jpeg

Hopefully I can get started earlier tomorrow before the termites swarm. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

56longroof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very nice! Maybe I missed it but how do you get rid of the waste water on a auto water change system? Do you run it in another storage tank?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 19 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back