Let's build a trap door leading to a secret fish room under my porch!

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very nice! Maybe I missed it but how do you get rid of the waste water on a auto water change system? Do you run it in another storage tank?

You can store it if you want, but I’m just running it into the drain. I’m going to tap into the drain for my house air conditioning since it’s just a few feet from the tank.

Amazing build quality

Thank you!

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
After careful consideration and taking your geography/climate into account I am going to take this opportunity to recommend a ventilation fan. :D
Awesome build! Great idea!

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
After careful consideration and taking your geography/climate into account I am going to take this opportunity to recommend a ventilation fan. :D
Awesome build! Great idea!

Yeah I’m still trying to decide what to do there. A fan would just vent into my crawlspace, so if anything I want to ventilate the crawlspace.

I’m thinking of making the tanks sealed so they don’t evaporate into the room. I’d have to add vent hose/pipe to the tanks that run to fresh air. Not sure yet.

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can anyone guess what this is covering every square inch?

Attachments

• IMG_4055.jpeg
    IMG_4055.jpeg
    399.4 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_4054.jpeg
    IMG_4054.jpeg
    407.4 KB · Views: 94
OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good man with pulling a lil extra romex into the gang boxes. Its something that kills me on new construction (especially industrial). I get saving a buck but man, lol.

I'm done ranting.

Again, great job!

Thanks! Yes that’s the worst, especially when they leave like a 1” ground pigtail in the box for the next guy.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Yeah I’m still trying to decide what to do there. A fan would just vent into my crawlspace, so if anything I want to ventilate the crawlspace.

I’m thinking of making the tanks sealed so they don’t evaporate into the room. I’d have to add vent hose/pipe to the tanks that run to fresh air. Not sure yet.
can you put the vent fan here?
img_3937-jpeg.3137436
img_3946-jpeg.3138836

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
can you put the vent fan here?
img_3937-jpeg.3137436
img_3946-jpeg.3138836

You mean mounted inside pointed out towards the brick? That could work. I didn’t bother to run electrical to that side though.

I did put a box on the far end wall facing out to the open crawlspace. My thinking was, if I really needed to, I could mount a fan pulling air out the fish room into the crawlspace, and another pushing air out the crawlspace to outside.

The thing is, most of the year in Louisiana the air is already 90%+ humidity already. The fan would be pulling most air in usually.

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Yes that’s the worst, especially when they leave like a 1” ground pigtail in the box for the next guy.
I work in electrical and yeah… I hate it :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Also, stripping off the romex sheathing before putting into box makes it a little easier down the road

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I work in electrical and yeah… I hate it :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Also, stripping off the romex sheathing before putting into box makes it a little easier down the road
You guys and your romex.... we need to run all electrical in conduit... what a pain.

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys and your romex.... we need to run all electrical in conduit... what a pain.
I actually have spent my entire professional career doing healthcare work… no romex or mc there! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Getting into residential and some commercial on the side and trying to build my own company, hopefully getting my contractors license this summer

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meh... If it aint required by nec and its my stuff I'm running romex. Usually less hassle than pulling THHN or THWN in a existing build. Cry once, pull once.

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, whats up with all the termites? Is it just a thing down there, or do you have an issue that needs to be sprayed for?

Living in upstate NY, we don't have much issues with termites.
It's a southeastern united States thing. They swarm all over, some years are worse than others. I'm in Alabama and getting the swarms right now. I keep my house treated and I have never had a problem.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 112 77.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 7.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back