Let's discuss glass scrapers.

Kongar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got the Tunze nano scraper and it's served me well for a few years. But it's not cutting it anymore and I'm wondering what you guys use for tough jobs. My definition of a tough job - the coraline that insists on growing everywhere mostly gets scraped off with the tunze - but a little piece is always stuck behind. That piece cements onto the glass and spreads. Over the years it's pretty much taken over into a mat of really tough stuff. Additionally, there's this green/brown glass algae that's really tough - maybe even tougher than the coraline. I don't know what it is. It's like the normal green film algae - but there's something hard left behind after a scraping. Again, just a little bit, but over time it's managed to cover everything.

It's a small tank - 20G, and it's glass. I've got half a mind to get in there with a razor blade, but there's probably an easier way?

What do you guys do for these tough jobs, and how do you keep your glass from scaling up over time with coraline and this weird tough algae levae-behind thing?

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use razor blades. I order box cutter blades off amazon that have rounded corners.

Aquarium - Round Razor Blades.JPG

With the rounded edges there is minimal chance of scratching the glass and let's you get in there and really scrape away. I can just go hog wild and clean up my glass frag tanks.

And when I am mellow and relaxed, and maybe even sedated a little I will use these same razor blades on my acrylic display tanks to remove the coraline. You have to be slow and patient - with with a straight flat edge you can safely remove the coraline from acrylic.

I also have plastic razor blades which I sand the corners off of for use on the acrylic when the coraline isn't in a horrible state.

Dave B

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back