Let's Discuss the IceCap K1 Nano Protein Skimmer

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I run on my nanos is the IceCap K1. By far the best nano skimmer out there. I've tried the aqua Maxx, not a bad choice, but ZERO customer service if needed, and finnicky. Anything goes wrong, might as well throw it away and buy another. IceCap has a reputable name and when something is needed, call them and they ship it out

giphy.gif

howaboutme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping this thread. Are most people mounting the skimmer with the included magnet mount? If so how? If with mount the skimmer won't fit the compartment in my waterbox. From past pictures it doesn't look like people are using it. Then how did you suspend it above the bottom to get adequate water level? I'm thinking egg crate?

gunflintcamper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping this thread. Are most people mounting the skimmer with the included magnet mount? If so how? If with mount the skimmer won't fit the compartment in my waterbox. From past pictures it doesn't look like people are using it. Then how did you suspend it above the bottom to get adequate water level? I'm thinking egg crate?
I wanna know too!

I got this skimmer used with a Waterbox peninsula and can’t fit it in my Waterbox 20 cube with the magnet working anywhere.

And the chamber Is actually bigger than the 25 it had been installed in.

Pic please? Of the icecap skimmer in a Waterbox Cube?

howaboutme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanna know too!

I got this skimmer used with a Waterbox peninsula and can’t fit it in my Waterbox 20 cube with the magnet working anywhere.

And the chamber Is actually bigger than the 25 it had been installed in.

Pic please? Of the icecap skimmer in a Waterbox Cube?
I am currently in the process of installing this skimmer. You have to use it w/o the magnet. I'm creating a platform with egg crate to put the skimmer at the appropriate level under water and I will set the skimmer (the motor) on it. I'm trying to figure out how to secure it to the egg create so it's not bobbling. Then again, I'm not sure it will bobble as it is a tight fit anyways.

howaboutme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally installed this skimmer a few days ago. Holy micro bubbles! They are a terror. I recommend breaking it on on a new tank w/o inhabitants if you can. I'm hoping the micro bubbles go away soon so I can start to dial it in. At this point, it's not worth messing with it.

Erikhsf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been mulling over pulling the trigger on one myself ! It should fit in second chambers no problem according to the dimensions.

I read somewhere optimal water height is 6-9 inches. (one of the websites selling it, don't remember which one) so thats not a problem. It will probably stick up a good bit, but that might add character to the tank ;)

I'm most curious about noise level though as my tank is in my bedroom.

I would love for you to guinea pig this!
Yes I was just looking at it on fish tank direct. The optimal water height is 6 to 8 so it should be perfect right near 9 in the back sump you will just see the top.

gunflintcamper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally installed this skimmer a few days ago. Holy micro bubbles! They are a terror. I recommend breaking it on on a new tank w/o inhabitants if you can. I'm hoping the micro bubbles go away soon so I can start to dial it in. At this point, it's not worth messing with it.
I got it installed in the middle Shawnee using the magnet at the side baffle of chamber 1..magnets were half out of the water.

But...it’s loud! Like s loud you hear it over three tanks and two other skimmers in the room.

I took it out. LOL

howaboutme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got it installed in the middle Shawnee using the magnet at the side baffle of chamber 1..magnets were half out of the water.

But...it’s loud! Like s loud you hear it over three tanks and two other skimmers in the room.

I took it out. LOL
You have to do a mod to the muffler. Plug that one hole where the tube inserts into the muffler. Now it should be near silent.

Meanwhile, I'm still getting microbubbles...

savgareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got this skimmer today and its hot garbage. The pump is ridiculously loud. If you cover the hole to the air its fine but that defeats the purpose of a skimmer. I'm stuck with it now...guess i'll run this point of sale at night when asleep.

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got this skimmer today and its hot garbage. The pump is ridiculously loud. If you cover the hole to the air its fine but that defeats the purpose of a skimmer. I'm stuck with it now...guess i'll run this point of sale at night when asleep.
It has to break in for it to work properly, like all skimmers.

trelopoulos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont close the silencer hole all the way.. just in half.. mine is very silent i have toss the silencer and plug it in atis co2 scrubber. I dont hear it a all.

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got this skimmer for my IM 25 lagoon, running a few days still loads of micro bubbles. It was pretty loud. To fix this i simply put a longer air intake tube on it now its dead silent. Hopefully the micro bubbles go away gonna let it run a week to break in. Its a good skimmer alot of skimmate but loud with micro bubbles witch can be fixed.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back