Let's Discuss the IceCap K1 Nano Protein Skimmer

Phamousreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does it produce dark skimmate ?
I'm still using it and it is still working as intended. Definitely not the quietest thing out there, especially after you clean it.

Speaking of cleaning, everything but the pump is super easy to take apart and clean, the only issue is the plastic screws can be worrisome in the way they tend to not want to turn, making me think I'm stripping the threads. The pump also does not allow you to easily get to the propeller. There is a thin plastic cover over the propeller that I believe is meant to come off, but the one on mine is so tight that I'm worried I'll tear it off and damage it before it comes off as intended.

Other than that and the noise, I don't have any other complaints about the skimmer.

Phamousreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unfortunately I took the tank down for an upgrade and haven't used the skimmer much at all. It sits on the shelf in my closet well though. If anyone is interested I will probably list it for sale soon.
Pm he how much you try to sell included shipping

theKoolAidMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to add my 2 cents as I just got one of these for my Reefer Nano, so rather than sitting in the chamber of an AIO, it's down in the sump. I don't have an issue with the build quality. It's a $90 skimmer, and I think the parts quality is far for the price and the market. it does skim and I found it easier than some suggested to dial in.

Now for the negatives: It is loud. The pump is the size of two matchboxes but it's considerably louder than the pump on my Reef Octopus classic in my 92 gallon tank. Not really happy with that, and hope it will quiet down some. If not, it will become a backup skimmer or something. Second, the O-ring around the cup is too big and stiff, so it's very difficult to get off without spilling skimmate.

theKoolAidMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to provide a quick update. After a week it has quieted down quite a bit. It's still not nearly as quiet as I would have hoped from such a tiny pump, but it's managable. A bit sad because I have such a quiet DC return pump in there. It will do for now because there just aren't a lot of good options out there for skimmers this small that are DC quiet.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Afternoon Fellas and Lady Fellas,

I was doing my usual monthly maintenance supply order on saltwateraquarium.com when I noticed this little guy: https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/k1-nano-protein-skimmer-10-30-gallons-icecap/

This new skimmer excites me as a Innovative Marine Nuvo Fusion 20 owner with skimmer woes, especially this part:

ic_k1_nanofootprint_1.jpg

By my reckoning, it will fit in the accessory chamber of the Nuvo 20 with no issues, here are the dimensions of the back of the tank:

208930-innovativemarinenuvofusionnano20kit-k_2.jpg

My only worry is the height, the bottom of the chamber from the back of the tank is 8.25 inches deep at the water line (in my tank) and the skimmer in question is 13 inches tall.

What do you guys think? I've been looking for a new skimmer and I am trying to avoid hang on back styles as hard as I can. This skimmer is so new that there are no videos on YouTube as well.

PS: If enough of you guys say go for it, I WILL GO FOR IT because my subconscious is telling me...

giphy.gif
All i can say is, they have awsome warrany and quick

reefaroo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read on FB some where that it came with a magnet holder. Is this true?

reefaroo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I read on FB that it came with a magnet mount. Is this true? Does it have any mounting ability?

theKoolAidMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I read on FB that it came with a magnet mount. Is this true? Does it have any mounting ability?

Yes. The collar around the neck of the skimmer has a magnet mount. Unfortunately the magnet mount has NO vibration dampening lining or padding, so it transfers a TON of vibration to the glass. I'm going to try sticking a bit of soft silicone or something between the magnets to absorb the vibrations and hopefully make it quieter.

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I have had experience with Reef Glass and Eshopps Nano Skimmer so far. Picked up the new NuvoSkim DC skimmer 3 days ago.

Construction and finish is top notch. Looks and feels high quality. It fits perfectly into the 2nd chamber of my Nuvo 20 and sits flush.....very nice!

Performance so far is fantastic ! No microbubbles at all and it took half a day to break in before producing some dark funk .

It’s not loud nor quiet .

Phamousreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys,
I got this on pre order over a month ago as there are not many skimmers that will fit the back chamber of the IM Fusion Nano and everyone seems to dislike the IM Ghost skimmer.

So, does it fit: yes, but it does stick out above the tank a good 5 inches or so. Also, I can't get it to fit straight, the filter sock frame in the over flow compartment sticks out and hits it.

But I will say, it does seem to work ( I have a 4 month old new tank that is too clean) and to me it is super quiet.

I hope this helps! Good luck with yours!

Fred
I just got mine
I have had experience with Reef Glass and Eshopps Nano Skimmer so far. Picked up the new NuvoSkim DC skimmer 3 days ago.

Construction and finish is top notch. Looks and feels high quality. It fits perfectly into the 2nd chamber of my Nuvo 20 and sits flush.....very nice!

Performance so far is fantastic ! No microbubbles at all and it took half a day to break in before producing some dark funk .

It’s not loud nor quiet .
do you have a picture of how dark the skimmate is ? For comparison if I should return the k1 skimmer

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently made a post 'will it fit a Nuvo 20" and based of this thread, it will definitely fit.
Did you guys/gals put it where the skimmer chamber is or the filter sock chamber?
Thanks!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back