Let's Divert From Reefs Momentarily Let's See Flowers

Dills pumpkin flower and today 14 days later. Pumpy is getting big!
20260529_065007.jpg
20260607_120553.jpg
 
I follow these growing tips fairly strictly and have had good success getting it to grow. I have found that you cannot give too much or fertilizer after mid June. This is Fred Clarkes nursery. He created the FDK genera, if you were not aware.

https://www.sunsetvalleyorchids.com/htm/culture_catasetinae.html
Thanks for the tips, they’re under grow lights and the cabi has fans. What is your growing media? All my potted orchids are in Orchiata bark
 
I use a gallon milk jug. Cut holes about 2 inches from the bottom. Fill with rocks to the holes, then a mixture of bark and moss to the top. I put them outside late May in direct sun until about 2pm. Water and fertilize frequently. I end up with 2-3 flower spikes late fall.

That is a great video by a very knowledgeable and respected catasetum grower for my potting method. I usually repot every 2 years.
Thanks for the tips, they’re under grow lights and the cabi has fans. What is your growing media? All my potted orchids are in Orchiata bark
 
I use a gallon milk jug. Cut holes about 2 inches from the bottom. Fill with rocks to the holes, then a mixture of bark and moss to the top. I put them outside late May in direct sun until about 2pm. Water and fertilize frequently. I end up with 2-3 flower spikes late fall.

That is a great video by a very knowledgeable and respected catasetum grower for my potting method. I usually repot every 2 years.

I’m in the high desert, I don’t think they’ll like 100+ temps in direct sunlight
 
I use a gallon milk jug. Cut holes about 2 inches from the bottom. Fill with rocks to the holes, then a mixture of bark and moss to the top. I put them outside late May in direct sun until about 2pm. Water and fertilize frequently. I end up with 2-3 flower spikes late fall.

That is a great video by a very knowledgeable and respected catasetum grower for my potting method. I usually repot every 2 years.

Interesting video
 
I’m in the high desert, I don’t think they’ll like 100+ temps in direct sunlight
They'll love the morning direct sun. I am in the midwest and hitting 90 daily right now. It is growing like gang buster. That water reservoir really helps with high heat.
 
They'll love the morning direct sun. I am in the midwest and hitting 90 daily right now. It is growing like gang buster. That water reservoir really helps with high heat.
I’ll have to figure out a reservoir, not to disturb them as I repotted this spring.
Moving them outside
 
No flowers on the milkweed quite yet…

IMG_1873.jpeg


but, the monarch caterpillars are going bananas on them nevertheless!

IMG_1871.jpeg


This milkweed shrub was full of foliage ~2 weeks ago:

IMG_1872.jpeg
 
Flowers!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0268.jpeg
    IMG_0268.jpeg
    153.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0269.jpeg
    IMG_0269.jpeg
    107.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0267.jpeg
    IMG_0267.jpeg
    134.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0389.jpeg
    IMG_0389.jpeg
    239.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0399.jpeg
    IMG_0399.jpeg
    172.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0604.jpeg
    IMG_0604.jpeg
    271.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0605.jpeg
    IMG_0605.jpeg
    350 KB · Views: 16
I've always had Bee Balm in my backyard. It really draws in the humming birds.
I've always liked this variety. Jacob Cline, It grows 5' to 6' tall.
I made a new box and raised it a little higher to keep the humming birds out of reach of my cat.
The flowers are at about 8' up.


 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new