- Joined
- Jul 3, 2017
- Messages
- 14,851
- Reaction score
- 25,737
- Location
- The Outer Limits
- What state or country do you live in
- California
Dills pumpkin flower and today 14 days later. Pumpy is getting big!
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
It is such a cool flower. If you hold it to the sunlight is behind it, you can see it is actually red. Can smell a little like cinnamon as wellNice! I have a couple of those but they haven’t bloomed yet.
Nice! They’re in an orchid cabinet, waiting to see if they bloom.It is such a cool flower. If you hold it to the sunlight is behind it, you can see it is actually red. Can smell a little like cinnamon as well
I follow these growing tips fairly strictly and have had good success getting it to grow. I have found that you cannot give too much or fertilizer after mid June. This is Fred Clarkes nursery. He created the FDK genera, if you were not aware.Nice! They’re in an orchid cabinet, waiting to see if they bloom.
Thanks for the tips, they’re under grow lights and the cabi has fans. What is your growing media? All my potted orchids are in Orchiata barkI follow these growing tips fairly strictly and have had good success getting it to grow. I have found that you cannot give too much or fertilizer after mid June. This is Fred Clarkes nursery. He created the FDK genera, if you were not aware.
https://www.sunsetvalleyorchids.com/htm/culture_catasetinae.html
Thanks for the tips, they’re under grow lights and the cabi has fans. What is your growing media? All my potted orchids are in Orchiata bark
I use a gallon milk jug. Cut holes about 2 inches from the bottom. Fill with rocks to the holes, then a mixture of bark and moss to the top. I put them outside late May in direct sun until about 2pm. Water and fertilize frequently. I end up with 2-3 flower spikes late fall.
That is a great video by a very knowledgeable and respected catasetum grower for my potting method. I usually repot every 2 years.
I use a gallon milk jug. Cut holes about 2 inches from the bottom. Fill with rocks to the holes, then a mixture of bark and moss to the top. I put them outside late May in direct sun until about 2pm. Water and fertilize frequently. I end up with 2-3 flower spikes late fall.
That is a great video by a very knowledgeable and respected catasetum grower for my potting method. I usually repot every 2 years.
They'll love the morning direct sun. I am in the midwest and hitting 90 daily right now. It is growing like gang buster. That water reservoir really helps with high heat.I’m in the high desert, I don’t think they’ll like 100+ temps in direct sunlight
I’ll have to figure out a reservoir, not to disturb them as I repotted this spring.They'll love the morning direct sun. I am in the midwest and hitting 90 daily right now. It is growing like gang buster. That water reservoir really helps with high heat.