LET'S MAKE IT OFFICIAL. WHO'S THE B-E-S-T BEST??? a poll

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who is the B-E-S-T Best coral vendor?

• The one who I buy from

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • The one I like the most

Votes: 16 32.0%
  • The one I buy from the most

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • The one I get my coral from

Votes: 10 20.0%
  • The one who sells me coral

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • The one I like to buy from the most

Votes: 31 62.0%

• Total voters

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Screen Shot 2023-03-10 at 9.48.52 AM.png

It’s more than apparent that these days a vendors popularity is only as grand as the amount of loyal fanboys, followers and hype they can generate. The more voracious the followers the better the vendor must be right? But fanboys don’t aways equal customers. And hype doesn’t automatically equate to good quality or service. As someone who has been on both sides of the hype/fanboy waves, and by that I mean I have had my forum legions ebb and flow over the years as my forum presence did the same, I can say that we vendors love attention. In fact we are gluttons for it. And places like this serve as battlegrounds for that attention. (see Black Friday around here for example lol). But is that attention really a good measure of the vendors ability to perform, to truly be considered the "best?"

I see it pretty often. So and so is "the best”. This is an easy realization to come to after one great transaction. You've got your coral. It looks good. You are happy, so naturally this guy is "the best" No doubt about it. Minds are made up. And that’s pretty much how it goes. Especially on the Internet. People feel a kinship to their “favorite and thereby default "the best “ vendor. This guy really takes care of me. But do they? Based on one or two decent experiences alone. That's it. Your mind is made up? I think in most cases the answer is yes. And vendors minions are built this way. But what is it really? What are the characteristics, the minutia a vendor exhibits that would really make any one vendor better than another?

Is it quality of the product? You’d think so, first and foremost. They’ve got the best coral around, then naturally must be “the best”. No way around that one right? But I’m not so sure. The corals may be "insane" but what if the guys just a jerk? How about polices? Like live arrival guarantees and good DOA replacement practices. This has to weigh in. Or how about the old saw that goes something like. Don’t judge someone when things go well. Judge how they react or respond when things don’t go well. Something like that. Or, personality? If someone's just plain cool dude is that enough? Then there is the inevitable bandwagon. This dude the best! Let's all agree and jump on board! Or perhaps it's just the bottom line. I’d think that price would play a huge role in this one. But again not so sure. I can think of contradictions and reinforcers to every one of these points on this very forum as I type this going on daily. So its really not so cut and dry then is it?

Subjective as it may be, I can’t help but ponder over the absolute, that every vendor is essentially the best vendor depending on who you ask. I suppose collectively an assertion of who may be the best, as with most things, is a popularity contest based mostly on public image. But I think our personal, perceived best, is always going to be simply, the one we give our money to the most.

Screen Shot 2023-03-10 at 9.48.32 AM.png

lynn.reef.nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Don’t judge someone when things go well. Judge how they react or respond when things don’t go well. Something like that.

^^^ The truly good ones are base on how they treat you when the transaction goes south.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’ll admit I am super charmed that people actually voted in the poll. Classic stuff.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Screen Shot 2023-03-10 at 9.48.52 AM.png

It’s more than apparent that these days a vendors popularity is only as grand as the amount of loyal fanboys, followers and hype they can generate. The more voracious the followers the better the vendor must be right? But fanboys don’t aways equal customers. And hype doesn’t automatically equate to good quality or service. As someone who has been on both sides of the hype/fanboy waves, and by that I mean I have had my forum legions ebb and flow over the years as my forum presence did the same, I can say that we vendors love attention. In fact we are gluttons for it. And places like this serve as battlegrounds for that attention. (see Black Friday around here for example lol). But is that attention really a good measure of the vendors ability to perform, to truly be considered the "best?"

I see it pretty often. So and so is "the best”. This is an easy realization to come to after one great transaction. You've got your coral. It looks good. You are happy, so naturally this guy is "the best" No doubt about it. Minds are made up. And that’s pretty much how it goes. Especially on the Internet. People feel a kinship to their “favorite and thereby default "the best “ vendor. This guy really takes care of me. But do they? Based on one or two decent experiences alone. That's it. Your mind is made up? I think in most cases the answer is yes. And vendors minions are built this way. But what is it really? What are the characteristics, the minutia a vendor exhibits that would really make any one vendor better than another?

Is it quality of the product? You’d think so, first and foremost. They’ve got the best coral around, then naturally must be “the best”. No way around that one right? But I’m not so sure. The corals may be "insane" but what if the guys just a jerk? How about polices? Like live arrival guarantees and good DOA replacement practices. This has to weigh in. Or how about the old saw that goes something like. Don’t judge someone when things go well. Judge how they react or respond when things don’t go well. Something like that. Or, personality? If someone's just plain cool dude is that enough? Then there is the inevitable bandwagon. This dude the best! Let's all agree and jump on board! Or perhaps it's just the bottom line. I’d think that price would play a huge role in this one. But again not so sure. I can think of contradictions and reinforcers to every one of these points on this very forum as I type this going on daily. So its really not so cut and dry then is it?

Subjective as it may be, I can’t help but ponder over the absolute, that every vendor is essentially the best vendor depending on who you ask. I suppose collectively an assertion of who may be the best, as with most things, is a popularity contest based mostly on public image. But I think our personal, perceived best, is always going to be simply, the one we give our money to the most.

Screen Shot 2023-03-10 at 9.48.32 AM.png
Adam, I just tagged you in a post yesterday raving about you!
I'm buying myself a new battle box for my birthday this year, after I rip every single last BTA out of the 55 and 110.
I want some super swirly plating pieces and easy tabling pieces to just take over the top and back of the 110g.
Not til Sept tho, when I have money and have evicted all the PITA nems that destroyed every last battle piece I had.
Still got my t-shirt?

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know where I stand on this, but I figure I'll make it part of the public record.

The Best put coral health and longevity above the money they make off of the frags, they see their role in the hobby as more than just a job selling living art, they see it as an opportunity to further the hobby as a whole through education, transparency, and involvement in the community at large.

There's only two so far that I've seen go that extra mile. Battlecorals and SBB.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
^^^ The truly good ones are base on how they treat you when the transaction goes south.
Hey thanks for reading this one! Obviously not the usual forum fodder here. Lol.

and I agree. Even with wholesale, same thing goes. I don’t usually mention a couple doas, but when there is a real problem with a larger order it’s nice when we get taken care of. That is for sure.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say it’s a whole combination. For me the best is who sells the healthiest coral at the most reasonable cost with excellent customer service.

Any person can frag a coral and mail it somebody (hypothetically), but a true coral farmer, aquaculturist, vendor (or whatever other name) will stand by their product and lives for the customers tank. I’ve seen plenty of the so called “best” vendors become real jerks over a a negative review posted by an unreasonable customer who only wants it Burger King style and neither is willing to budge. I’ve seen a couple others that in my opinion either go above and beyond (even if it’s outside their “policies”) or at least put in the good faith effort to make things a right as possible. Having excellent customer service can make a customer come back even when something fell short. In my opinion Adam, you are one of the best. I think it’s incredibly uncommon, if dare I use a vendors favorite word “rare”, that you receive a negative review and I often see posts of people who lost XYZ coral in a tank crash or other event and you tell them to let you know and you’ll hook them up in their next box.

All that said, the best vendor for me, boils down to who I’d rather spend my money with and I have many vendors (even sponsors here) that are not on that list (and sadly its likely based on forum interactions I’ve seen on here and elsewhere)

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know where I stand on this, but I figure I'll make it part of the public record.

The Best put coral health and longevity above the money they make off of the frags, they see their role in the hobby as more than just a job selling living art, they see it as an opportunity to further the hobby as a whole through education, transparency, and involvement in the community at large.

There's only two so far that I've seen go that extra mile. Battlecorals and SBB.
I stand with Stateline on this one. I want to add something but
old-school-perfect.gif

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

good stuff and thanks a lot for chiming in and being part of the discussion. I promise the intention of this one was not to be a self indulgent lets all tell Adam he's then best thing, but I do appreciate the kind words believe me. just always trying to be my best at least. oh and @OrchidMiss, That is a good plan! a really good plan in fact and I'm thrilled to be a part of it:).

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

very kind of you to say. thanks a lot. I do suppose it really goes without saying that good product coupled with good service is ultimately the key to gaining and retaining sales in this business.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very kind of you to say. thanks a lot. I do suppose it really goes without saying that good product coupled with good service is ultimately the key to gaining and retaining sales in this business.
When it is a pleasurable experience even when problems arise..that's top notch business. Being open, honest and transparent is taking it a step further. Remaining humble, forthright and not letting greed stand in the way is admirable. Others can learn so much from this model that you guys have. It's appreciated and respected from my end immensely..thank you.

Joe462

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I would have to say i have at least a couple "best" vendors. Vendors who have the coral i want (and its healthy, and survives once it gets here) first, second prices that i deem reasonable for what i'm getting, good customer service (trust), and sort of the personal touch - likability, communication, willingness to work with me, freebies/pleasant surprises, and personal interaction. These are the things that build return business from me.

Battlecorals is definitely a part of that group, but i also really enjoy interacting with some of the vendors that show up to the local frag swaps in my area.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one who figures out how to eliminate ups and FedEx by teleporting livestock instantaneously to the consumer, thus ending the needless mass murder of these amazing creatures! Oh, you mean realistically….ha. I have my favs, you of course being one of them. I just wish we had better luck with shipping. Even though you are the most amazing person in handling doa’s, I felt ridiculously guilty about it as every single shipment was somewhat doomed. So much so that I haven’t ordered anything in a long time. For anyone reading this…my negativity has absolutely nothing to do with Adam, he is freaking amazing and does everything to make sure his livestock is healthy and properly packaged for shipment. It’s the shipping situation since the zombie apocalypse started. Somewhere along the way to my house (maybe it’s just my front door) there’s some coral death ray that all bc shipments must pass through.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adam, I just tagged you in a post yesterday raving about you!
I'm buying myself a new battle box for my birthday this year, after I rip every single last BTA out of the 55 and 110.
I want some super swirly plating pieces and easy tabling pieces to just take over the top and back of the 110g.
Not til Sept tho, when I have money and have evicted all the PITA nems that destroyed every last battle piece I had.
Still got my t-shirt?
Ugh freaking bta’s! I feel ya. I put one in my tank months back…. It has since somehow built an evil cloning device. If my calculations are correct it should be conquering all of North America within the next ninety two days. I think a tactical nuke may be in order. The madness!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • None.

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 7.4%
Back