lets make predictions about a bit of metal I put in my reef as a test

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pbIJ0bnTj
a poster at nano reef.com had dropped an exacto razor into a recess in their tank which was inaccessible as it slid right down in a pocket

in surmising I don't think steel will be lethal, I figured the only accountability is to jump in as well. going to leave it in until I see something negative but I think it won't harm, it'll just calcify as metal substrate.

padjwXc2j

what's your prediction with my tank on the line, think it will harm?

I saw two potential outcomes, one is no corrosion and getting plated in marine deposits and the other is a coating of oxide that in turn gets covered in marine deposits.

and then the other possible outcome is loss of a nine year effort

edit

12 hrs later tiny rust on the edges will watch to see how motile animals behave, seek or avoid before/after rust w be neat.

Last edited:

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoa, didn't know your were such a daredevil! :)

Product description: High quality DE blades made in Russia by Gillette. Stainless steel, coated blades with a Platinum plated edge.

High-quality razorblade stainless steel composition: Razor blade steel is a martensitic stainless steel with a composition of chromium between 12 and 14.5%, a carbon content of approximately 0.6%, and the remainder iron and trace elements

Sandvik 13C26 (Razorblade Stainless Steel)
C 0.68
Si 0.4
Mn max 0.7
P max 0.025
S 0.010
Cr 13

Platinum:
Platinum is unaffected by air and water, but will dissolve in hot aqua regia, in hot concentrated phosphoric and sulphuric acids, and in molten alkali. It is as resistant as gold to corrosion and tarnishing.

Coating: Hmmm, wonder what coating they used?

You have such a small volume of water, but then you also do 100% WCs, I believe. I predict that you *may* not see any issues (covering myself there :) )

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a yay prediction, excellent
I 'm seeing micro benthic adhesion within three hours it's shocking I'll do macros in a bit

IMO the risk is on into the week+ where imperfections might start to rust
this might make a good toughness test for this brand razor maybe they'll comp a brother lifetime razors

This is substrate cycling and a metal surface reflects it in good detail, hopefully corrosion won't set it back.

A tiny tubeworm or hydroid probably seems to have affixed to the corner and some tiny snails are on it. I bet the strange freqncy hum of metal in ion activity is attractive to micro sensitives

When I'm out flying drones in the desert scrub areas ants always attack my ground station gear the electricity makes them deliberate

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, the arms of my float switches are stainless steel and have been in my tank for almost 20 years. Good quality stainless steel is not generally an issue, although some types do corrode in seawater.

I think the razor blade will very slowly corrode and not be an issue. Folks have lost razor blades into their rock work without noticing problems later. I don't think the components of stainless steel are generally very problematic.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 88 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back