2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this today, not in the best condition ,still needs to open,hope it thrives
It's been awhile I've had a scleronephthya from Vietnam or Tonga
20190428_132228.jpg

Is that NPS? Beautiful, can’t wait to see it open.

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming back to life, also 46 oysters as pre-filter

20190503_102247.jpg

20190502_154502.jpg

20190502_154509.jpg

20190502_122414.jpg

Hello, Mark here. Could you please explain the oyster prefilter for me or point me to someplace. It sounds interesting. And best of luck with your nepthea sp. I wish I could have enough aquariums to dedicate by species and have one just for non photo synthetic corals, fans and sponges.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, Mark here. Could you please explain the oyster prefilter for me or point me to someplace. It sounds interesting. And best of luck with your nepthea sp. I wish I could have enough aquariums to dedicate by species and have one just for non photo synthetic corals, fans and sponges.
About the oysters, when I returned to reef keeping 10/2017, my goal and still is, to try aquaculture of NPS softies, eventually I think since bans, these species will disappear from our hobby, when? Eventually and soon. So I first did my homework, alot of reading on these corals. Still at it. So 10/2017, I setup my tank, and two outdoor refugiums. As summer came in setup a chiller, but before summer, I read oysters the most efficient natural filtration system in the wild, for being a creature. They can also remove nitrates, ammonia, and more. When it comes to healing a bay, oysters are implemented. And if conditions right spawn, food for corals.

So, I wouldn't buy tropical oysters too costly. I read about Pacific oysters, very hardy. So tried them from different markets, eventually found from Asian market Azul Sol, from Baja California. They come in plastic mesh bags. If you try them, I recommend very large filtration, I'm running 16 gallon DIY filter canister, inside it 1 cu foot of activated carbon, then ran through calcium carbonate grave in my case limestone, then back to DT. Large filtration, why? You may have a die off. They also need continuous micro algae. From die off if some do, you'll be left with hardy ones.

The outside refugiums had 80 oysters, 3 abalone, 10? cherry stone clams, chaeto, plenty algae,,good and bad.

Screenshot_2018-03-04-14-59-45-1 (1).png

Last edited:

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About the oysters, when I returned to reef keeping 10/2017, my goal and still is, to try aquaculture of NPS softies, eventually I think since bans, these species will disappear from our hobby, when? Eventually and soon. So I first did my homework, alot of reading on these corals. Still at it. So 10/2017, I setup my tank, and two outdoor refugiums. As summer came in setup a chiller, but before summer, I read oysters the most efficient natural filtration system in the wild, for being a creature. They can also remove nitrates, ammonia, and more. When it comes to healing a bay, oysters are implemented. And if conditions right spawn, food for corals.

So, I wouldn't buy tropical oysters too costly. I read about Pacific oysters, very hardy. So tried them from different markets, eventually found from Asian market Azul Sol, from Baja California. They come in plastic mesh bags. If you try them, I recommend very large filtration, I'm running 16 gallon DIY filter canister, inside it 1 cu foot of activated carbon, then ran through calcium carbonate grave in my case limestone, then back to DT. Large filtration, why? You may have a die off. They also need continuous micro algae. From die off if some do, you'll be left with hardy ones.

The outside refugiums had 80 oysters, 3 abalone, 10? cherry stone clams, chaeto, plenty algae,,good and bad.

Screenshot_2018-03-04-14-59-45-1 (1).png

Thank you. I have a 70liter spare tank and room for it next to my sump. This looks very interesting. I'll visit some seafood suppliers and see what live they can provide.

Mark

heeles000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do people think i should do as i have 2 clown fish a blue tang (dory) and a flameback angel aswell as loads of corals should i add more fish or corals.
20190807_161009.jpeg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back