Coral not coming out as much anymore?

Reef_Tanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this coral a few weeks ago sorry i cant remember the name of it all i know is that it was a pretty big soft coral the past 2-3 days it hasnt come out much at all my tests came back fine salinity was fine only issue was the mag was a touch high but i doubt that would've done anything.

Any ideas?
Also sorry about the picture not the best i know any help or ideas is appreciated though

coral1.jpg

OP
OP
Reef_Tanks

Reef_Tanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like an elegance and your going to be asked what you prameters actually are, light levels and age of tank.
Yep that's it thank you mate the tank has been going for 2 and a bit years the tests came out good could it just be a little irritation and come back out soon?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I bought this coral a few weeks ago sorry i cant remember the name of it all i know is that it was a pretty big soft coral the past 2-3 days it hasnt come out much at all my tests came back fine salinity was fine only issue was the mag was a touch high but i doubt that would've done anything.

Any ideas?
Also sorry about the picture not the best i know any help or ideas is appreciated though

coral1.jpg
This can be a tricky coral. Elegance corals require a moderate light to support photosynthesis but not too strong of light. You want to aim for PAR of about 90-120. Water flow should also be moderate.
You don’t want the flow to be too high or too low but allowing the tentacles to flow gently. Too little flow and these corals will not thrive well. Too much flow and you risk tearing the polyps.
Proper flow brings nutrients to the polyps, assuring they get nourished.
These corals are photosynthetic, which contain inner algae called zooxanthellae which live inside its body tissue and provides its nutrition. They need regular feedings with foods such as chopped krill, Mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, or small pieces of shrimp.
Elegance corals susceptible to elegance coral syndrome (ECS). If your coral has this , you’ll see swelling around the disc and unopened polyps or even a whitish mucus coating.

OP
OP
Reef_Tanks

Reef_Tanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This can be a tricky coral. Elegance corals require a moderate light to support photosynthesis but not too strong of light. You want to aim for PAR of about 90-120. Water flow should also be moderate.
You don’t want the flow to be too high or too low but allowing the tentacles to flow gently. Too little flow and these corals will not thrive well. Too much flow and you risk tearing the polyps.
Proper flow brings nutrients to the polyps, assuring they get nourished.
These corals are photosynthetic, which contain inner algae called zooxanthellae which live inside its body tissue and provides its nutrition. They need regular feedings with foods such as chopped krill, Mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, or small pieces of shrimp.
Elegance corals susceptible to elegance coral syndrome (ECS). If your coral has this , you’ll see swelling around the disc and unopened polyps or even a whitish mucus coating.
Appreciate all the advice mate the light is right above it could that be the issue? its not set to an insane amount of UV or any other setting but could that be it? Also the flow is really good wouldnt say its bashing it though.
Its starting to come out a bit now but usually it comes out earlier and bigger could it just be a minor thing and go back to normal soon?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Appreciate all the advice mate the light is right above it could that be the issue? its not set to an insane amount of UV or any other setting but could that be it? Also the flow is really good wouldnt say its bashing it though.
Its starting to come out a bit now but usually it comes out earlier and bigger could it just be a minor thing and go back to normal soon?
possibly yes. Lower intensity or make the light indirect as it may be too much PAR. Those tweaks should help

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back