Let's see them jawbreakers/acid trips.....

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And a quote I was told from someone at one point in time,haha

"Even a rare mushroom isnt rare for long"

I think this thread concurs that!

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well there is only 3 of us so far so I think it's still pretty rare lol... People try to slice it and becomes more rare since a cut down the middle equals zero not 2..;)

nayrgaijin

Aquaculture Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it just looked that way because of the lighting? I think his is actually green like everyone else' not blue, but I'm sure he'll chime in and say something :D

Either way, I frikkin want one!

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not mine, this is only the mother of mine. Mine has one shade of electric green and red and orange.

LT4D7486.jpg
Now that is awesome! Nicest one I've seen yet with a good, non-doctored picture as well.

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya it is!!!! I can truly say that pic is great and all but it's not capturing the glow of that shroom mine glows so bright you can see it from across the room I can't imagine how that bad boy looks....

Kataro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much do one of these guys go for? I was gonna get one from my friend... but luck has it the week I was coming by it got dragged into the eternal pit of darkness (his rockwork) by something... and disappeared =(

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More pics please :smile:

I want one and need to see a few more pics to talk myself into paying the $300 or more they seem to go for.
I have a red and a green mushroom that look like the same type but only the one color. I will try to get pics in the next day or two.

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took a few days but I got some pics. I think they look a lot like the "jawbreaker" But only have one color. The green one does have some spots on it but they are brown.

007.jpg

Madreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those would be just normal mushrooms, the kind that take over a tank. Be cautious of placement of those ones.

subdrive

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for a second, I really tried to see the resemblance hahaha..

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well they may not be the same but they are not the "normal" Discosoma sp that take over and grow like weeds. The red one i have had for over a year and it grows about as fast as the jawbreakers. It also came from the same wholesaler as the last jawbreaker that was imported. If you know what you are looking for it is not hard to see the texture is the same as well. I have seen thousands of mushrooms including a jawbreaker in person and i would say I'm 90% sure these at least the green one is the same species. The other thing is the color. It is like the jawbreakers much better in person. I think it is hard to get past the color of the jawbreakers. I'm more interested in the species than the color. (but would be happy to pay for the color if I got the chance :)

So what species is a "normal" mushroom?

And please some more pics of those JAWBREAKERS :)

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my God! I haven't been surprised or shocked when I've received a shipment in a looong time so when I got my shipment from Ian today, I finally understood what everyone has been raving about. Absolutely stunning! I would never have guessed at the color of this thing. I thought people were paying for the colors that develop on this mushroom and started to question why I spent so much on something that would take years to develop. Now I know why they are called jaw breakers. I kept thinking of the hard candy but my jaw actually dropped when I opened my package. Like the utter chaos, this mushroom is sooooo much nicer in person. It glows brighter than anything in my tank. I did make a mistake when it came in. It was unattached when it arrived so I re-glued it to the frag. I was unaware that this wasn't done to mushrooms. Do you guys think it will be ok? It's a little slimy but otherwise very healthy. Do they do well in the light or in the shade? Anyway, here are comparison pics next to one of my favorite corals. Let me just say, the jawbreaker is much brighter in person. You can spot it from across the room.

100_0783.jpg

100_0784.jpg

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow sweet shrooms guys!

fab-I think the mushroom will be fine,ive glued them before and they lived..it just seems to take a little bit longer for them to get happy and settle down.

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glue is fine worst case it won't hold lol.... I have mine in med flow and high light it
Loves it!!!! That piece is the brightest in my tank also!!! Congrats man...;)

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glue is fine worst case it won't hold lol.... I have mine in med flow and high light it
Loves it!!!! That piece is the brightest in my tank also!!! Congrats man...;)

Thanks Troy! I'm so glad I took the plunge after seeing this thread. The glue isn't holding too well and the shroom is starting to come a little loose. I'm worried it's going to fly right off my frag rack and I don't have anywhere safer to put it so it can take hold. Any ideas what I can do?

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a small rubber band around the foot and frag disc it should attach in a few days.... or you can place it in a dish with gravel or small rocks until it attaches then glue the sand to a plug or disc.... hth...

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 132 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back