Let's talk about household items that can kill your tank!

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious what people think about ammonia-free Windex (not sprayed near the tank) on a paper towel to clean streaks off front glass,,, then wipe with clean/dry rag or paper towel???

I'm not doing it yet but think I've seen posts on here saying it's safe so just curious.
I use vinegar and water half and half now....seems to do better for me in terms of streaks.

Esox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 56 gallon weathered several years of my wife's scented candles and wax melts with no visible ill effects. Then she got an essential oil diffuser, which wiped out everything but a clownfish. Painful lesson!

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 56 gallon weathered several years of my wife's scented candles and wax melts with no visible ill effects. Then she got an essential oil diffuser, which wiped out everything but a clownfish. Painful lesson!
This! I've heard some horror stories sorry about your loss...ugh. The wife is not allowed those lol except in the basement, miles away from the tank, and I'm still nervous....

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious what people think about ammonia-free Windex (not sprayed near the tank) on a paper towel to clean streaks off front glass,,, then wipe with clean/dry rag or paper towel???

I'm not doing it yet but think I've seen posts on here saying it's safe so just curious.
I've used windex sprayed on a cloth for years with no ill effects. Even if some spray gets into the tank (assuming you don't have a pico tank), any ammonia will get diluted very quickly and your biological filter will get rid of it quickly. That being said, I wouldn't pour in a bottle of windex to test your filter!

Esox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This! I've heard some horror stories sorry about your loss...ugh. The wife is not allowed those lol except in the basement, miles away from the tank, and I'm still nervous....
My wife felt awful, but I blamed myself for not being more vigilant. I was sick and bedridden and let the tank go for a couple days without inspecting it.

Next time I set it up, I'm putting cameras on it. lol

ultraArcite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but do worry about food preparation - especially preparing fried food. Thoughts on this?
We have a topless tank in the kitchen that has pea puffers in it... I worry about it all the time but it's my fiancée's tank not mine... We haven't lost any of the puffers, but I do see a film at the top of the water every once in awhile...

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a topless tank in the kitchen that has pea puffers in it... I worry about it all the time but it's my fiancée's tank not mine... We haven't lost any of the puffers, but I do see a film at the top of the water every once in awhile...
25' of open space from kitchen to tank with open top (screen/mesh lid).
Wife/kids use deep fryer in the kitchen pretty much daily.

I worry about it every time I can smell upstairs the deep fryer in action downstairs.
Don't do anything about it and haven't seen any issues but I do at least "wonder" about it.

EDIT -- well, I open windows whenever possible but do that anyway

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I’m joining this thread late….two items concern me:

1) our kitchen is approximately 20 feet from my 365g reef tank. Not overly worried about eating near the tank but do worry about food preparation - especially preparing fried food. Thoughts on this?

2). Have a large wood durning fire place that ventilates nicely up the chimney but know small amounts of smoke are disputing in the room. Thank us approximately 50 feet from fireplace. Any thoughts on this?

thanks in-advance
Fireplace is a foot away from my 250 and is 10 feet away from my new 750. I lit a fire the other week and forgot the flue was closed. Smoked up the house pretty good in a minute. The 250 was fine. It's likely just carbon unless you're burning something toxic in your fireplace...

Aquajamin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have often wondered if the Glade scented plugins would cause an issue?
I have never had a problem but I open the doors and windows once a week just in case.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 112 74.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back