Lets talk about live ocean rock and why why we so scared bruh?

i_am_mclovin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you look at the cost of live rock and shipping, it nothing compared to some of the other equipment like lights, apex and other equipment on the market.
Very true. In my current build the TBS package cost with shipping is only about 20% of the total build cost. In this hobby I generally don’t buy something just because it’s cheaper. I buy the right thing I need regardless of cost.
11 months:
2E572F87-E613-407F-89E1-EC74A910C0D8.jpeg
D99DBA99-8A5A-439C-AD26-DFEE5829B04F.jpeg
Very nice.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d be really interested to see somebody cure some rock in nets sitting in blue water 100 miles offshore about 50’ off the bottom. Would probably have very little pests, but who knows if it would be as effective not picking up things near the sandbed.

The stuff closer to the reefs has less pests like aiptasia and algae. The key is being near the whole ecosystem where the consumers live too (same thing with AQ corals on beaches away from the reefs, where nudis, AEFW, spiders and all of that can thrive without predators.) All of it will come back if you don't know how to reef and have consumers for it, but that happens with sterile rock too eventually. The cultured stuff from the Pacific was awesome and is supposed to be coming back someday... it has been in the water for years, so should be nice.

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lol I was teasing about the google pics obviously but i just think it's a risk level for certain people . Some people like surprise parties , some people dont . For me personally I only want good surprises lol. You may look at getting a bobbitt worm as o cool I'll eventually get him out versus me as o god I need to tear this tank down because I got a thousand dollars worth of fish in here . Some people are indifferent to problems and some dont even see them as one . As previously stated it's not a bash on live rock users ( it obviously works) it's just another viewpoint on why people choose what they choose . Tons of people say well ya cant have sps for a year things will just melt and for some it's TRUE. Also some people have had them take off after 4 months . The thing is if we know starting with dry rock lacks biodiversity what do we do to correct the problem ? I'm just trying to think outside the box . Old school we would add 15 lbs of live rock to some dry rock and you would seed your whole tank . I'm currently soaking blocks and plates into my buddies 8 year old tank for 7 months to see how well that will help this dry rock cycle when it starts . It's cool to hear other people's viewpoints and like previously stated there is no right or wrong way

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may look at getting a bobbitt worm as o cool I'll eventually get him out versus me as o god I need to tear this tank down because I got a thousand dollars worth of fish in here .
This is a perspective thing. It comes from having done this for a very very long time. The problems that I am solving are at a much higher level. A novice gutarist isn't trying to solve the problems that an experienced guitarist does. The are just trying to finger scales. Also higher level people tend to branch out into specialties. Malmstien isn't Kobain.

Remember perspective. :)

BTW bobbit worms are as kewl as they look and I don't know if you saw the post of where he went. That was very interesting to me. Also some people like to keep these creatures and buying them in the hobby isn't really possible. Same with mantis shrimp.
Some people are indifferent to problems and some dont even see them as one
Once again many of the problems that novice reefers are trying to solve, I have already solved. So in that way ... yes ... I don't see them as problems.
As previously stated it's not a bash on live rock users ( it obviously works) it's just another viewpoint on why people choose what they choose .
Indeed for me all viewpoints are welcome. It is good to see what problems people are trying to solve and where they are trying to go.
Tons of people say well ya cant have sps for a year things will just melt and for some it's TRUE. Also some people have had them take off after 4 months .
Luck plays a very small role here. Almost always this s a trait of skill. It is just really hard to see what that skill is. I could watch basketball and about 90% of what they do is lost on me, but someone who understands can point out all of the things that they are doing that is incredibly difficult. I just have to agree because I don't know because the best dribbling I can accomplish is in the bathroom.
The thing is if we know starting with dry rock lacks biodiversity what do we do to correct the problem ? I'm just trying to think outside the box
Multiple ways to deal with problem. If you are really interested I could lay them out, but it would really take up to much space here. Also each solution brings with it it's own set of downsides. You understand this if you spend any amount of time in the hobby.
I'm currently soaking blocks and plates into my buddies 8 year old tank for 7 months to see how well that will help this dry rock cycle when it starts
This sounds legit to me. You will know if it works when you do it. This is 100% why I don't really listen to someone who doesn't have their own tank or hasn't had. I definitely favor recent experience.
It's cool to hear other people's viewpoints and like previously stated there is no right or wrong way
100% Agree. :)

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember when making rock was the big thing, every forum had threads about DYI rock. But that rock is so limited when it comes to being porous and I reel the same about this man made life reef rock. They can make it look good with little crevices and color but will never achieve recreating real live rock. Marco rock is nice as far as being porous and I would definitely choose it over man made.

Paul’s rock he made himself

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When bobbits used to happen a bit (still less common that people make out), they were easy to deal with if the owner had the right mentality. Most wanted to catch them, but nearly all of them knew what rock that they lived it. Since this only really happened in new tanks, or young tanks, we would just take the rock out and put it in freshwater for a few hours, or just let it sit out for a day or two. Some would squirt h2o2 or seltzer water into their hole and they nearly always came bolting out. Worm always dead after that.

Kinda like heat with MH, these are easy problems to solve when people wanted to, but got used as an excuse where the hype outdid the reality. I suppose that there could be a rare case when a small one made it for a few years when the tank was so mature that taking a rock out was not easy, but these might be even more of rare cases.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gotta be real and I may probably need my head checked for saying this. But I wouldn't mind a bobbit worm in res 2 haha

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some stay small. Some get huge and can catch all of your fish. Kinda like a mantis... where you roll the dice in a tank with other things with some people enjoying theirs and some hating them. Species tank might be cool.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id for sure take a mantis i was hoping id get one in my gulf rock but no luck. Mantis are probably one of the most cool critters in the ocean for me. Extraordinary for sure.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say this, a Bobbit is probably 99.9999451% less deadly on average than the fish diseases that can breed at will in a sterile new tank. I got that number from science. :)
Let's be 100% real. Id take a bobbit worm over spirorbid worms all day long.
Oh yeah I got spirorbid worms from a vendor here haha man

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda like heat with MH, these are easy problems to solve when people wanted to
Not to side track, but in Southern Texas this is a huge problem and I don't know how to deal with because honestly the simplicity of MH is way better. OMG though the heat, and the electricity bill.

If you want to put on another thread I would really be interested in your ideas.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to side track, but in Southern Texas this is a huge problem and I don't know how to deal with because honestly the simplicity of MH is way better. OMG though the heat, and the electricity bill.

If you want to put on another thread I would really be interested in your ideas.
Id put in glass tube with Inline fan pushing through vent in window in summer. Maybe use it as heat for fish room in winter. Ive been considering it myself. I miss the ease of old school mh

i_am_mclovin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The most common are fans that blow between the light and the water surface. And a chiller of course.

i_am_mclovin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id put in glass tube with Inline fan pushing through vent in window in summer. Maybe use it as heat for fish room in winter. Ive been considering it myself. I miss the ease of old school mh
I am seriously considering a cebu sun halide T5 fixture. But can’t find a 5’ model. That with two 14k bulbs and some 420/460 T5. Makes me drool just thinking about it lol. ;Drool

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am seriously considering a cebu sun halide T5 fixture. But can’t find a 5’ model. That with two 14k bulbs and some 420/460 T5. Makes me drool just thinking about it lol. ;Drool
For sure I started with mh back in the day. Set it and forget it and tank just popped. I use to run the MH glass tubes with reflectors for horticulture. With an inline fan heat really shouldn't be an issue if its pushed outside. Not sure how id like that look over a tank though

i_am_mclovin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure I started with mh back in the day. Set it and forget it and tank just popped. I use to run the MH glass tubes with reflectors for horticulture. With an inline fan heat really shouldn't be an issue if its pushed outside. Not sure how id like that look over a tank though
I live in Wisconsin and my tank is in the finished basement so heat is not an issue.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 50.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.4%
Back