Lets talk about live ocean rock and why why we so scared bruh?

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guys have it good today. Curing DR is a breeze with Marco. Pukani was another one loaded with nutrients and gave a lot of people trouble.
FC313905-F471-4143-8BE1-D12FA4862246.jpeg
700A840A-2054-466F-A0CC-3C48FF9F84BD.jpeg

Haha. So many people think Marco rock is hard to cure. Little do they know!
The tonga I have has certianly been stubborn.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’d cut one of my legs off for a couple 40lb pieces of Puakni. That was some excellent rock after maturity was reached!
Ummmm still got some ... are you sure. :p

Still have some really giant pieces of shelf. Nobody seems to want those. LOL

i_am_mclovin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea maybe we should create a thread of people who have amazing tanks with dry rock and didnt spend $1000 on real ocean rock and then have to sit and catch mantis shrimp and all sorts of things on it. the extra $700 you spent in paying for the rock ill buy the ACTUAL corals i want , instead of getting excited about a $10 piece of gorgonian and a piece of 10 cent macroalgae thats going to die in a week . Lets face it we buy the live rock for the bacteria and biodiversity and not the corals you get . im not going to discredit the benefits of live rock but i still believe if they just took a $30 huge brick of marine pure and left it in there for a year we would get same results . If waiting an extra 2 weeks for your cycle makes or breaks it for you this hobby isnt for you. So if you're looking for pics you should upload your receipt if you had to buy 150lbs of rock shipped in water and ill show you the 49 corals( that i actually want ) i bought for the same price 3 weeks later .
Zero or couple day cycle vs 6 week cycle. 2 weeks isn’t realistic for a cycle with dry rock. Also depends what you want to out in the tank after the cycle. With live rock I can put SPS, dragonet, nems, and anything else that requires a very diverse tank, into the tank within a couple weeks at most. With dry rock you’ll need a year or more to get past the uglies plus get diverse enough life to properly support those things. I saw a lot of people with dry rock tanks lose beautiful sps frags because they didn’t realize how long they had to wait.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some rock from the 1990s that was collected in the Great Barrier Reef. It is nice. Marshall Island was the best of all time and I have some basketball sized pieces that weigh like 4-6 pounds. Sometimes I give away corals that are attached to live rock, but the GBR and MI don't get given away.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zero or couple day cycle vs 6 week cycle. 2 weeks isn’t realistic for a cycle with dry rock. Also depends what you want to out in the tank after the cycle. With live rock I can put SPS, dragonet, nems, and anything else that requires a very diverse tank, into the tank within a couple weeks at most. With dry rock you’ll need a year or more to get past the uglies plus get diverse enough life to properly support those things. I saw a lot of people with dry rock tanks lose beautiful sps frags because they didn’t realize how long they had to wait.
Yeah, pretty much. That’s why if you even think about setting up a reef w/o LR you should buy the rock first and get it cycling in a brute.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some rock from the 1990s that was collected in the Great Barrier Reef. It is nice. Marshall Island was the best of all time and I have some basketball sized pieces that weigh like 4-6 pounds. Sometimes I give away corals that are attached to live rock, but the GBR and MI don't get given away.
Marshall Island had rocks of gold! Man, if somebody had that rock today and go LR again.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in Bacliff now about an hour East of you. Very close to the Bay and Galveston.

Do you still sell rock?
Wow indeed you aren't far away.

Stopped selling the rock because of some drama, and Walt Smith didn't like me selling out of my garage. LOL jokes on him 6 months later he was out.

I was thinking about finding another supplier because my wife had connections in the area of the Solomons, but I decided against it. Got the business bug out of my system.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people just don't get it haha I get more excited about rock corals come on most of the time:)

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d be really interested to see somebody cure some rock in nets sitting in blue water 100 miles offshore about 50’ off the bottom. Would probably have very little pests, but who knows if it would be as effective not picking up things near the sandbed.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d be really interested to see somebody cure some rock in nets sitting in blue water 100 miles offshore about 50’ off the bottom. Would probably have very little pests, but who knows if it would be as effective not picking up things near the sandbed.
You can cure rocks off a dock in 15’ of water and not let them touch the bottom. Make sure they don’t touch the bottom lol. Only hitchhikers is some small crabs. Easy to get rid of if you want. You end up with all the bacteria, sponges l, feather dusters, pods and sometimes blennies.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow indeed you aren't far away.

Stopped selling the rock because of some drama, and Walt Smith didn't like me selling out of my garage. LOL jokes on him 6 months later he was out.

I was thinking about finding another supplier because my wife had connections in the area of the Solomons, but I decided against it. Got the business bug out of my system.
Ok, well let me know if you ever get back in.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 41 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back