Lets talk about live ocean rock and why why we so scared bruh?

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was completely covered in life so I would assume at least a few years. I prefer it over the gulf live rock I also have. It is shaped much like dry rock except it’s ykno… covered in sponges and tunicates and such.

Neither compare to the live rock I used to get… like the tonga live stuff. Not the boat rock but you could get the real primo stuff from there as well.

I think unique corals also recently had some live rock from Australia.

I see You edited your post. All good. I grew up on the old ocean rock you speak of. I promise you I've never seen anything like primo gulf rock though.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we see? Do you have comparison pix if kp rock to gulf live rock primo rock? I dont think u had gulf primo rock from gulf live rock. You would know as it is covered in corals with 10+ years growth and its easy verified. Theres a difference from primo and the regular o rock everyone else us selling far as I can tell.

I ordered it from gulf live rock website and my LFS drives it up a few times a year. I know what it is.

I already said the gulf stuff has more corals but the KPA is much better rock… if you care about the rock part and not the corals.

KPA is in the keys. Different area from gulf rock.

If you go to their website it says they have the oldest offshore aquaculture’s rock.

Just different stuff on it probably because of location.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see You edited your post. All good. I grew up on the old ocean rock you speak of. I promise you I've never seen anything like primo gulf rock though.

I have some in my tank as I said. I still prefer KPA because the rock they seed is better.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered it from gulf live rock website and my LFS drives it up a few times a year. I know what it is.

I already said the gulf stuff has more corals but the KPA is much better rock… if you care about the rock part and not the corals.

KPA is in the keys. Different area from gulf rock.

If you go to their website it says they have the oldest offshore aquaculture’s rock. So I guess older than gulf live rock.

Just different stuff on it probably because of location.
Can we see most recent pix of oldest kp rock quarried?
Only asking because I haven't seen any rock with the kind of 18-25 yr growth i got from gulf live rock.
You may be correct that kp has oldest rock mining spot but think it may be out mined and out of date from whatever gulf live rock is diving for sure?
Still not sure all of thats correct either way as it seems regardless they are all waiting on the same back order from the gulf as of a yr or 2 ago:)

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we see most recent pix of oldest kp rock quarried?
Only asking because I haven't seen any rock with the kind of 18-25 yr growth i got from gulf live rock.
You may be correct that kp has oldest rock mining spot but think it may be out mined and out of date from whatever gulf live rock is diving for sure?
Still not sure all of thats correct either way as it seems regardless they are all waiting on the same back order from the gulf as of a yr or 2 ago:)

You can find a lot of pics online of KPA. I don’t have any on my phone and they are covered in corals now anyways. My KPA didn’t have corals but it has every other type of life that was important to me.

My online gulf order was years ago but my LFS has it. It’s covered in rose corals, cup corals, gorgs and so on. It’s definitely gulf live rock. They drive down to get it. Probably don’t need to be on a waiting list like online orders since they buy in bulk and are long time customers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can find a lot of pics online of KPA. I don’t have any on my phone and they are covered in corals now anyways. My KPA didn’t have corals but it has every other type of life that was important to me.

My online gulf order was years ago but my LFS has it. It’s covered in rose corals, cup corals, gorgs and so on. It’s definitely gulf live rock. They drive down to get it. Probably don’t need to be on a waiting list like online orders since they buy in bulk and are long time customers.
Cool whole point is your not going to find any rock even remotely covered in life and coral as gulf live rock agreed? I haven't seen anything even remotely close in last few years lol

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool whole point is your not going to find any even remotely covered in live and coral ad gulf live rock agreed? I haven't seen anything even remotely close in last few years lol
I would say KPA is covered in just as much life. Just different types.

If a person wants corals then go gulf. If a person everything but corals the KPA will provide superior shapes close to dry rock scape capabilities.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like its embarrassing for other rock vendors to even try and compete with gulf live rock at this point as none of them have anything close to offer atm. There are some die hards no doubt ive seen it time and time again on this site. No one has been able to produce the quality of gulf live rock though.
Are we talking about that one site dropping and selling 3 month algae soaked rock again now?

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say KPA is covered in just as much life. Just different types.

If a person wants corals then go gulf. If a person everything but corals the KPA will provide superior shapes close to dry rock scape capabilities.
Totally disagree show me some ocean rock please

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally disagree show me some ocean rock please

Order some :) I have bought from the popular ocean live rock venders and it doesn’t sound like you have?

How can you compare if you haven’t seen it in person?

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you there spokesperson? Lol there’s nothing embarrassing about KPA or Tampa rock.
Are you kidding me? If someone wants corals and life or if someone wants rocks and shapes than go kp?
I'm talk about ocean rock lol
If I wanted shapes and colors theres plenty of dead rock to choose from?

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Order some :) I have bought from the popular ocean live rock venders and it doesn’t sound like you have?

How can you compare if you haven’t seen it in person?
No thanks you said it. There plenty of other dead rock vendors full of shapes and sizes. Im after life and real ocean rock:(

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you kidding me? If someone wants corals and life or if someone wants rocks and shapes than go kp?
I'm talk about ocean rock lol
If I wanted shapes and colors theres plenty of dead rock to choose from?

I said it had all life but corals.

IT IS ocean rock. It’s in the keys in the ocean and they collect it with a boat.

Not dead rock.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No thanks you said it. There plenty of other dead rock vendors full of shapes and sizes. Im after life and real ocean rock:(

Yes because years spent in the ocean in the keys is the same as dead rock.

If you don’t want to explore other options that’s fine. You are not listening and I was just trying to explain what it was.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you there spokesperson? Lol there’s nothing embarrassing about KPA or Tampa rock.
Wait a minute. Did you just back that one liverock company that soaking and selling 3 month old algae soaked Walt smith fiji?

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get out of here with all that lol

I'm talking about real ocean rock here:)

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait a minute. Did you just back that one liverock company that soaking and selling 3 month old algae soaked Walt smith fiji?

No. Been talking about KPA. Anyways this thread is going to poop. I thought it was about sharing experiences with live rock not about one particular vender.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. Been talking about KPA. Anyways this thread is going to poop. I thought it was about sharing experiences with live rock.
No you kinda sounded like a spokesperson of a cpl sub par liverock vendors. Actually brought one up thats admittedly >(on this board)< ok with soaking and selling 3 month soaked walt smith fiji rock(same rock petco sells:))
All im talking about is real ocean rock here.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Drive down, from Wisconsin to Florida? That's really uneconomical. Would be less to air freight it and would have far less die off...

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back