Lets talk about Red Algae and Iron

Dancingmad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting this b/c I've read on multiple descriptions of red macroalgae that iron supplementation is required/recommended.

Does anyone have experience with iron supplements? I think most reefers like myself are averse to iron in our systems - some expert feedback would be awesome.

My experience dosing was following some indiscriminate dest-ructions on the side of a bottle without a test kit. I would dose it when the reds in the algae started looking pale or washed out. It seems to help, but oddly I would always experience a weird free floating bacteria bloom(I speculate wildly here - I don't really know what made the water cloudy, but it just looked like some typical bloomage) or something about a day after dosing, and it would last about a day.

Accepting even anecdotal experiences! Number chasers out there reading would appreciate numbers to test for and so forth.

Lets talk about red algae and iron y'all!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting this b/c I've read on multiple descriptions of red macroalgae that iron supplementation is required/recommended.

Does anyone have experience with iron supplements? I think most reefers like myself are averse to iron in our systems - some expert feedback would be awesome.

My experience dosing was following some indiscriminate dest-ructions on the side of a bottle without a test kit. I would dose it when the reds in the algae started looking pale or washed out. It seems to help, but oddly I would always experience a weird free floating bacteria bloom(I speculate wildly here - I don't really know what made the water cloudy, but it just looked like some typical bloomage) or something about a day after dosing, and it would last about a day.

Accepting even anecdotal experiences! Number chasers out there reading would appreciate numbers to test for and so forth.

Lets talk about red algae and iron y'all!
Have you read this?
https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/8/chemistry

OP
OP
Dancingmad

Dancingmad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 55 30.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 47 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 20.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back