Let's talk about the hanna meters....

gilmour01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i guess i'll try the single vial method again tomorrow and see what readings i get. i was having the same issue with the timer so i started using both vials like troylee.

Last edited:

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I talked to a rep about this this is how he told me to do it. Clean the test tube then put your water in but mark the top of the tube also mark the meter itself at the top, so when you put it in you Aline the two lines. Then when you mix in the regent you are reading from the same spot on the glass both test. He also informed me you have to use the same glass you'll never get the same amount of water twice then the laser reading two different spots also screws it up.

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geeeze... sounds like they need to update there directions... Or something...
I'm really glad I made this thread now... Also excited to try the new ideas that you guys are pouring out...;)

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there extremely accurate the way I do it and common sence. Hints if you have algea and test zero your prob eating before you can test.

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No algae here thanks to dosing...
I just see numerous pics of the meter and they always show 0....
Now that you guys have brought up good points and ideas it makes alot sense why I see it...;)

jcom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good thread Troylee. I too have been using both vials. Now I'm going to try using one vial and marking it with a Sharpie as suggested above.

I grabbed a bunch of those alcohol wipes from the Doctor last time I was there and have been using them to clean my vials.

Gonna go do the single vial test and report back...stay tuned. (I've been getting 0.00s thus far with two vials)

jcom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drum roll please.................

For what it's worth. I've been using Salifert's Po4 kit prior to this and haven't gotten even the slightest hint of blue on it forever. Peeps that have been using Hanna's more expensive colorimeter in the past have noted that their results were very close to that of Salifert's. When Salifer was testing above 0.03, so was the colorimeter, and when Salifert was showing completely clear (<0.03), the colorimeter was also testing below 0.03.

So it remains to be seen if the pocket meter is indeed testing similar to its more expensive cousin as Hanna states is the case.

I'd like to hear from some people doing side by sides with the older Hanna. If results are similar, that's about all we can ever hope for.

Last edited:

Oiseau Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone I've contacted the biology professor who's ran both the old one and the new one he gets a .01 difference usually the old one shows .01 higher than the new pocket meter he also wanted to tell everyone that any type of algae in the tank eats PO4 including coraline algae he said turn your lights of for 30min including refuge lights and the reading you get then will be your accurate Po4 reading because when the lights go out algae stops consuming the Po4
My readings at night 30mins after the lights go out .03-.04 when the lights are on they read 0.00 so maybe there's some truth to that

stedfast82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you need to make a line then why didn't they do it sound's like some thing's need to be better on the meter maybe hanna should of sent out say 50 of them out for testing before selling them. I'm glad i have not got one yet yes they are very nice but up grade up grade.if hanna want's to be top dog then send out some alk meter's free to some reefer's just random reefer's and find all the flaw's first then sell them we spend are $$$ let's see what hanna want's to do with this . sell us a meter and then find out the flaw's?

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is about the new smaller meters but I have one of the older models I purchased used (HI 93713) and it only registered a zero once. I am happy when I get readings in the .03-.07 range. I always test twice with the timed and then immediately with the direct. I always get the same reading with the exception of the one time I removed the cuvet after the initial reading and shook it up too much when I placed it back in for the direct read and I got a .15. As far as cuvets I always try to handle them as little as possible. I really only touch them with my bare fingers when I rinse them in water. I have a couple micro fiber towels that I keep them wrapped in and use it to handle them. I always rinse them immediately with ro/di water also then dry and wrap up. A couple things I was told by a Hanna rep through email is 1) If you leave the reagent/tank water mixture in the cuvet too long it can actually stain the glass so it is important to clean ASAP 2) it is OK to have some reagent settle in the bottom of the cuvet as it will not affect the reading but if the reagent is still suspended in the cuvet, that may affect the reading. 3) Always try not to handle directly with your fingers as the oil will also affect the readings.

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Definitely minimize touching the center of the cuvet - this is where it takes the reading. I also have a microfiber towel that I wipe it down with.

I also try to orient the cuvet the same each time I place it in the meter (especially for the zero calibration and the test that I'm currently doing). I orient the wording to the front so I know it is reading from the same general area.

Definitely rinse it out every time. I have a hard time drying, so I put RO/DI in mine after rinsing. Then, when I test, I fill it with SW a couple times and rinse it out with that to remove the RO/DI.

ReeferRob

Give me your Brains!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kick butt thread TL, I've learned a lot so far. I too have been doing the 2 vial method but will not anymore. The line idea is a good one because I have also noticed inconsitancies in the glass thickness.

Is soaking and cleaning these things in vinegar okay?

Hefton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually store my cuvets with RO/DI water in them. I also measure the 10ml of water with a syringe, rather than use the line on the cuvets.

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have learned a ton myself.... i have had the meter since day one, because i pre ordered it... i have only used it like 4 times thou.... lol i dont test alot i can just tell by my corals reactions, what's going on....

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the thread on RC the rep from Hanna also said that for the most accurate results you should make a small mark on the vial so that it goes in the meter the same way each time. They said small imperfections in the glass will throw off the results. However, I'm guessing this would lead to slightly varying results rather than huge swings between tests.

CONSTANTNE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got mine in this week. Didnt think you should place the vial in the same way both times but its something to think about. I was getting o phosphates with my elos and still getting 0 with this. Only problem is I still get algae growth :(

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 98 44.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 75 33.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back