Let's talk Custom Fertilizer Mixes

GoM_reefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been a huge fan of Green Leaf Aquarium's powdered components for a while, especially the specificity of the availible compounds (Potassium nitrate vs Calcium nitrate, chelated vs gluconated iron) and was wondering what custom or modified fertilizer mixes (if any) you all are running. In the past I've used Seachem's Flourish, Iron, and Excel with an NPK mix using monopotassium phosphate and potassium nitrate (stump killer lol), but recently just switched to calcium nitrate from GLA after adding Halimeda. Personally, I really like having control over the different components, and being able to adjust based on the tank's needs and stocking.

I'd love to hear what everyone uses, if you dose nitrates, and whether or not you mix your own or use a single product.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been a huge fan of Green Leaf Aquarium's powdered components for a while, especially the specificity of the availible compounds (Potassium nitrate vs Calcium nitrate, chelated vs gluconated iron) and was wondering what custom or modified fertilizer mixes (if any) you all are running. In the past I've used Seachem's Flourish, Iron, and Excel with an NPK mix using monopotassium phosphate and potassium nitrate (stump killer lol), but recently just switched to calcium nitrate from GLA after adding Halimeda. Personally, I really like having control over the different components, and being able to adjust based on the tank's needs and stocking.

I'd love to hear what everyone uses, if you dose nitrates, and whether or not you mix your own or use a single product.
I use both Seachem Flourish, and Iron. I also add a capful of Coral Vite weekly and zoo plankton and phyto daily. I do weekly water changes with IO (purple box) plus I feed my fish heavily.

OP
OP
G

GoM_reefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use both Seachem Flourish, and Iron. I also add a capful of Coral Vite weekly and zoo plankton and phyto daily. I do weekly water changes with IO (purple box) plus I feed my fish heavily.
I think I'm in the minority since most of my macro systems have been fishless, thus needing ferts. I also let my systems go months between water changes as I rarely have a buildup of free nitrate in the system.

Diastro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me I use niloc g's pps pro dosing dry fertilizer. I don't obsess over numbers though. My tank runs on tap water which I supplies a lot of trace elements and calcium. Every once in a while I'll dose 1 ml of macro nutrients and 1 ml of micros. Around once a week. I feed my fish well and add seachem's dead phyto once a week too. Very nutrient heavy system but also have very quick growing macros like caulerpas and chaeto.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 59 31.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 49 26.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 38 20.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 20.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back