Lettuce algae

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's cool....
Not many fish at moment but soon there will be a nice assortment eating like pigs.

It's only been a few days but the lettuce looks nice and green. Been slowly turning up the light to acclimate it to the light. Here's a couple more pictures for ya.

P.s. @AlgaeBarn what else you think I should put in there?

20190319_140256.jpg
20190319_140314.jpg

What size tank do you have and what are you planning on stocking?

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank do you have and what are you planning on stocking?
I have 687 gallons of water in my system after everything. I will have lots of fish and corals will mostly be SPS but will all in all be mixed reef with LPS and a small zoa garden maybe. Currently have a Vlamingii tang 7" a dragonet and couple small fish. I'm getting ready to place a fish order of around 20 fish or so in various sizes. I feed mostly LRS reef frenzy, seaweed, and some pellets.

Yes already been ordering pods and phytoplankton from you but need some more.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe @radiata might be able to add to this conversation. (Bob, isn't this the stuff we collected out on Sandy Hook last summer?)

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a different sump now. But had added ulva from algae barn for my fuge. It definitely grew, then made its way to my display tank [emoji23].
Admittedly my sump light an H80 is probably not strong enough to outcompete my display lighting. so this plus nothing at the time stopping the algae from going into the return section. Was why this happened most likely.

Anecdotal but my coral beauty i added not long after removed all of it in the display within about a week.

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe @radiata might be able to add to this conversation. (Bob, isn't this the stuff we collected out on Sandy Hook last summer?)

The stuff I was trying to locate and grow was Ulva intestinalis. I didn't get it to grow successfully. I think I got some of it last week from a guy in Florida. There seems to be quite some variation in the diameter of the strands. The stuff I got was quite thin, almost hairy, compared to the photos I've seen of the stuff.

The Sea Lettuce being discussed in this thread is Ulva corniculata, the stuff that grows in sheets.

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The stuff I was trying to locate and grow was Ulva intestinalis. I didn't get it to grow successfully. I think I got some of it last week from a guy in Florida. There seems to be quite some variation in the diameter of the strands. The stuff I got was quite thin, almost hairy, compared to the photos I've seen of the stuff.

The Sea Lettuce being discussed in this thread is Ulva corniculata, the stuff that grows in sheets.

We are in the process of trying to grow out Ulva intestinalis. It looks like hair algae when you pull it from the water ;Woot.

I am unable to find any photos of Ulva corniculata. I know Ulva lactuca grows in sheets as well and is very similar in appearance (we sell lactuca).

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are in the process of trying to grow out Ulva intestinalis. It looks like hair algae when you pull it from the water ;Woot.

I am unable to find any photos of Ulva corniculata. I know Ulva lactuca grows in sheets as well and is very similar in appearance (we sell lactuca).

OOPS ~ my error. I meant U. lactuca. I've spent too much time looking at algae on the web...

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I add see lettuce to a 75g mostly leather tank. I've got a foxface and a sailfin tang. Or do you have a recommendation

Lapras

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grow it in my sump inside of an algae scrubber and my fuge -- it's from Algae Barn. I will have to say that I've tried chaeto in the past and just can't seem to grow it. The ulva, however, is amazing in growth and I would recommend it. I was having issues with it floating away at first, so I superglued some to my fuge rocks and it finally has a hold. I like joekool's setup, so I might try that.

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Could I add see lettuce to a 75g mostly leather tank. I've got a foxface and a sailfin tang. Or do you have a recommendation

Would you be adding this directly to the display tank or to a refugium?

OP
OP
Jase4224

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like Ulva Lactuca (sea lettuce). Any idea what that other brown algae is?
Sorry I haven’t had a chance to look up the other algae that is attached to the mussels in the pic. The free floating brown algae pic though I’m pretty sure is Sargassum. I once had Sargassum grow from live rock in my old 300gal and it actually took over the entire right side of the tank and looked quite pretty until it got just too big and started to die off. This was under halides and T5.

OP
OP
Jase4224

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How deep do you let the bed of sea lettuce grow before removing
I think it may depend on your setup, but my guess is that there will be a point where it gets so thick that you start to get die off. Once you know this point you can keep it trimmed before it get to that size. Maybe someone with more experience will weigh in and confirm if I’m correct or wrong..

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some Ulva in the refugium . No idea were it came from. grows well. The one tang I have shows no interest in any algae I offer!

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@AlgaeBarn when you trim the lettuce algae do you simply tear it?

If possible, I would remove whole pieces of the sea lettuce. It grows in nice sheets, so I would recommend removing it as such. Tearing it will not kill it, but we always just remove pieces.

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think it may depend on your setup, but my guess is that there will be a point where it gets so thick that you start to get die off. Once you know this point you can keep it trimmed before it get to that size. Maybe someone with more experience will weigh in and confirm if I’m correct or wrong..

How deep do you let the bed of sea lettuce grow before removing

Usually, you will want to remove some once it gets about 3-4 inches deep. If you keep it shallower, you will not need to stir it around. Usually, it will grow so thick and generate so much oxygen that the top layer of sea lettuce will lift itself out and start to turn white. We would recommend stirring it around or pruning.

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Directly to dt

You can add it to the display tank. It will not hurt anything there, but make sure it doesnt clog an overflow. We keep all of our Biota fish with sea lettuce as it works as excellent cover, food, and water cleaner.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back