Lettuce algae

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add it to the display tank. It will not hurt anything there, but make sure it doesnt clog an overflow. We keep all of our Biota fish with sea lettuce as it works as excellent cover, food, and water cleaner.
Do you have any other suggestions to add

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's cool....
Not many fish at moment but soon there will be a nice assortment eating like pigs.

It's only been a few days but the lettuce looks nice and green. Been slowly turning up the light to acclimate it. Here's a couple more pictures for ya.

P.s. @AlgaeBarn what else you think I should put in there?

20190319_140256.jpg
20190319_140314.jpg
Now
My lettuce is not looking so great. Going white and or clear. Do I not have enough light and or nutrients.
Tried turning light up and down. Started out low then slowly raised over a few days to start. I also started 24 hours a day but now have gone to inverse light schedule.
Any ideas?

Txplicit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ulva grows great! Great way to uptake NO3 and PO4. I have a fuge sectioned for ulva and chaeto. However, it does send spores through your return and into you dt. I have a huge growth of ulva I am trying to maintain right now from over taking my display. I mean it's not a bad thing. Rather ulva than hair or dinos. However, I also like a clean tank and real estate for coral growth too. Any suggestions of clearing the display @ #AlgaeBarn?

20200201_005425.jpg

Txplicit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed this with my lettuce that was on the surface not covered in water. Try rotating them and getting them to submerge. It may be the light burning them out of water.

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone growing lettuce algae? I’m gonna try growing it in my sump, for a bit of fun and if successful to feed my tangs/angels.

It grows native where I collect sea water so gonna give it a go. There are other red algae’s that I might also try. Might even try the brown sargassum which I have grown successfully before.
I bought some and put it in the sump to give some to my yellow tang Sunny. Sunny refuses to eat it but it could just be Sunny the fish only likes one brand of nori and refuses the rest but Sir Chomps A lot my diamond goby likes it. Will try some other live plants to see if Sunny likes something else but currently the only one it likes is the film algae from the sump

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ulva grows great! Great way to uptake NO3 and PO4. I have a fuge sectioned for ulva and chaeto. However, it does send spores through your return and into you dt. I have a huge growth of ulva I am trying to maintain right now from over taking my display. I mean it's not a bad thing. Rather ulva than hair or dinos. However, I also like a clean tank and real estate for coral growth too. Any suggestions of clearing the display @ #AlgaeBarn?

20200201_005425.jpg
I had luck with dwarf angels eating ulva. My coral beauty cleared the ulva that invaded my display.

ruppertb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ulva and cheato always seem to float. Turn white on the surface and get mushy and die. Can’t get it to sink. It always seems like a bubble trap and will not sink. Even when held down with egg crate it just breaks into smaller pieces and goes through the egg crate to float.

Any advice

Txplicit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ulva and cheato always seem to float. Turn white on the surface and get mushy and die. Can’t get it to sink. It always seems like a bubble trap and will not sink. Even when held down with egg crate it just breaks into smaller pieces and goes through the egg crate to float.

Any advice
Put in a little flow to gently tumble them it helps keep the top from drying.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are in the process of trying to grow out Ulva intestinalis. It looks like hair algae when you pull it from the water ;Woot..

Ulva intestinalis has different growth forms but I have never seen it as fine as GHA before. I have been growing it in waterfall ATSs for a few good years now and have to harvest it every 4 to 5 days. Some of the fronds can be as wide as 3/4" others 1/4" but I never grew it so fine as to be hair like.
ulva-intestinalis.jpg
20200116_153417.jpg
20200106_125829.jpg

DeputyDog95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm "trying" to grow out the Algae Barn sea lettuce with a Kessil H160. Not going so great...

Phosphate is .13 and Nitrate is 5. Not horrible.

But the lettuce isn't really growing and it's color is a bit faded.

Where should I set the intensity and spectrum of the Kessil H160? It's about 8" over the lettuce in the sump.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 107 76.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back