level sensor in alkatronic reagent container

george7523

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi,

I have a container containing alkatronic reagent solution. The solution is 1:4 ratio of sulfuric acid (0.1N) mixed with rodi water. How safe is it long term wise to have a level sensor ( optical or float ) to be immersed in this solution ? Is this 1:4 acid reagent solution strong enough long term wise to eat away the plastic of the level sensor making it fail ?

Thanks

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi,

I have a container containing alkatronic reagent solution. The solution is 1:4 ratio of sulfuric acid (0.1N) mixed with rodi water. How safe is it long term wise to have a level sensor ( optical or float ) to be immersed in this solution ? Is this 1:4 acid reagent solution strong enough long term wise to eat away the plastic of the level sensor making it fail ?

Thanks
I don’t know the answer, but I suspect if it’s all plastic, a sensor would be fine. But, I just a use a plastic container that I can see through. No need for a sensor other than my eyes. I make many months worth of reagent at a time.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just enter the container size and let it track/ notify you? It knows exactly how much its using each test. Maybe a couple hundred ml less than actual, so you get advanced notification..

OP
OP
G

george7523

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just enter the container size and let it track/ notify you? It knows exactly how much its using each test. Maybe a couple hundred ml less than actual, so you get advanced notification..
Yes, that's good idea but the reason this will not suffice is because I will be away for couple of months and physically won't be able to refill it. So I need a way to detect its low and refill it using peristaltic pump. Versa maybe

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that's good idea but the reason this will not suffice is because I will be away for couple of months and physically won't be able to refill it. So I need a way to detect its low and refill it using peristaltic pump. Versa maybe
Ok, so...
1.) You can go in the app and it will show you how much is left.
2.) You can set the container size smaller than actual, so it will send a notification before its actually empty.
3.) You could just use a bigger reservoir, mine sips from a 20L jug(like what lfs sells water in). for you to dose top off reagent, that means you would have it mixed already; just put it all in the same jug.
4.) If you were considering mixing some reagent before leaving, and dosing if needed or setting up some elaborate system with dosing pumps mixing it for you- keep in mind that every batch comes out a little different. last thing you want, while on vacation, is to switch reagents and not know if you can trust the numbers it comes up with.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back