Levelers on steel tank stand

NoStRaThOmAs

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 5, 2015
Messages
138
Reaction score
25
Location
Los Angeles
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a steel tank stand 48x24x24 made and I was thinking on installing 6 levelers on the stand. My only concern is I Have hardwood floors and I am worried the round levelers will sink into the hardwoods over time with the weight. I could have some square steel squares made up to prevent this. Should I not install the levelers or put steel squares down to prevent this? Do I even need the levelers?
 
Should I not install the levelers or put steel squares down to prevent this? Do I even need the levelers?
You're going to have some sinking into the hardwood over time with either but, the more you can displace the weight (over a larger area) the less this will occur... even the best made stands need to be leveled to the floor they'll be resting on, it's more the floor/home that's the problem but, sometime the stand can be a little off too.
 
Last edited:
You're going to have some sinking into the hardwood over time with either but, the more you can displace the weight (over a larger area) the less this will occur... even the best made stands need to be leveled to the floor they'll be resting on, it's more the floor/home that's the problem but, sometime the stand can be a little off too.


I'm putting 2 on front, 2 on back, and 1 on each side. I will probably have some flatstock cut to span the front and back 2. And two 3x3 squares for the sides?
 
The main issue I see w/ these is you are relying on threads and connection points.
Will those rust or fatigue over time?
What will you do if one fails?
 
I would just shim it as best as you can. Don't over think it too much.

With shims you can try to get around areas between the corners and its a given the corners are going to be heavy spots already.
 
The main issue I see w/ these is you are relying on threads and connection points.
Will those rust or fatigue over time?
What will you do if one fails?


It will be powder coated but it is saltwater after all and can't be lifted and replaced lol!
 
I would just shim it as best as you can. Don't over think it too much.

With shims you can try to get around areas between the corners and its a given the corners are going to be heavy spots already.


Shimming it will save me 80 bucks too! What kind of shims did you use?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 22 19.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 32.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new