Leveling... how exact does your tank need to be?

Jesse Sunday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
(EDIT to correct CM to MM)

Hi all! Thanks for your time reading and hopefully answering...

I am setting up a Red Sea 350 v3 (18xxx serial) that's about literally one millimeter (NOT centimeter) of water height from level. The spirit level shows nearly level on the top of the tank, but when I've put 5 gallons in the display, the levels from the left to the right are about 1mm off. (right higher)

Should I be concerned? If I need to shim (there are no feet) the stand, I assume using a small shim here would be OK?

1706404758231.png

Thanks so much for your input!

I'd shim it in a heartbeat if I were sure the stand would withstand the process... if I don't need to be concerned about a 1 mm difference, then I'll fill it and be on my way.

Thanks!

Last edited:

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is too unlevel imo. Especially for a redsea tank. I'm not sure how the stand will react to shimming, but I had to shim my IM stand recently and it was fairly painless. I used plastic shims instead of wood. I also had to put a yoga mat under my stand and shims due to the vinyl flooring being installed on what I assume was the most uneven and lumpy cement floor that has been allowed to pass inspection.

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve set up two Gen 2 Reefers. One on carpet (my 625) and one on hardwood (my Dad’s 300).

Carpet makes it easy. My Dad’s hardwood floors were a disaster (I had to use plastic shims). IMO you definitely want to put the time into leveling the tank as perfectly as possible. Both side to side and front to back. Having said that, IME 1 cm across 4 feet probably isn’t going to be an issue for you. Especially with the armored seams.

But if you can shim it to perfect, you may as well. If for no other reason than peace of mind.

AtlantiCat

33% Salt, 67% Fresh, 100% Weird
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you mean millimeter? That's like the size of the period at the end of this sentence. A centimeter is pretty significant.

vancouverredsea350

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Red Sea 350 was off about the same 1cm front to back and I used those black plastic shims and it’s been perfect for about 4 years. I used three across the front between the small plastic feet then shimmed the plastic feet themselves for the rest. I have the white stand and you can’t even notice them.

OP
OP
Jesse Sunday

Jesse Sunday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Ugh, thank you all for making me question myself... It's actually MM, as @AtlantiCat questioned. So yes, it's roughly 1/16th of an inch or 1.5 millimeters. Editing the original post now.

So is there concern for roughly 1.5 - 2 MM?

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry about 1-2.5mm. I mank is not perfect either, but it was the best I could do without proper leveling feet.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back