LF: Peacock Mantis

Jayreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know of a source for a peacock mantis? I am hoping to find a young male. I have been checking live aquaria and blue zoo all month. I have hit up every LFS in the Phoenix AZ area and have requested one be ordered. While some say they will look others have flat out said they don't like ordering them. Seem availability may be slim currently.

While I prefer to get local all my normal sources have run dry. Any one in the southwest see one around? I would even make a weekend trip to go pick up.

I have kept one before and lost it due to equipment failure. This time around I plumbed a 40B into my 240 reef. This way my mantis tank will stay nice and stable.

Here is the tank all setup for the last month just waiting for it new peacock to move in.
IMG_20190927_185451832.jpg

And here is the 240 it is plumbed into. So happy for this as I hate doing the extra water changes and maintenance on the last nano tank. I am hoping this will make it much easier to keep the tank stable.
IMG_20190927_185521836 (1).jpg

ashs_exotics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know of a source for a peacock mantis? I am hoping to find a young male. I have been checking live aquaria and blue zoo all month. I have hit up every LFS in the Phoenix AZ area and have requested one be ordered. While some say they will look others have flat out said they don't like ordering them. Seem availability may be slim currently.

While I prefer to get local all my normal sources have run dry. Any one in the southwest see one around? I would even make a weekend trip to go pick up.

I have kept one before and lost it due to equipment failure. This time around I plumbed a 40B into my 240 reef. This way my mantis tank will stay nice and stable.

Here is the tank all setup for the last month just waiting for it new peacock to move in.
IMG_20190927_185451832.jpg

And here is the 240 it is plumbed into. So happy for this as I hate doing the extra water changes and maintenance on the last nano tank. I am hoping this will make it much easier to keep the tank stable.
IMG_20190927_185521836 (1).jpg
I know yourfishstore.com sells them, I ordered one a while ago and didn’t end up getting it because they said the ones they had in stock weren’t up to shipping standards at the moment. It’s been a serious hassle trying to find one as well, been looking for a purple spot and a peacock for ages.

OP
OP
Jayreefer

Jayreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the lead. I will reach out and see if they can provide pictures before I order.

Seems they are hard to find lately. Saw 4 different ones last spring. And one 2 weeks before I had my tank ready. Now that I am ready they are no where to be found.

OP
OP
Jayreefer

Jayreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do no see a peacock mantis on Tampa Bay's price list. Looks like they only carry Wennerae.

ashs_exotics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the lead. I will reach out and see if they can provide pictures before I order.

Seems they are hard to find lately. Saw 4 different ones last spring. And one 2 weeks before I had my tank ready. Now that I am ready they are no where to be found.
Come back and let us know if you do find some and how they turned up after shipping

APX90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where are you located? if youre in the southern California area by chance multiple LFS have them in almost every size you can ask for

edit: i know for sure the reef in anaheim CA has about 5 of them, not sure if they would ship to you

ashs_exotics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh awesome dud
where are you located? if youre in the southern California area by chance multiple LFS have them in almost every size you can ask for

edit: i know for sure the reef in anaheim CA has about 5 of them, not sure if they would ship to you
Oh awesome dude I haven’t been down there to check but I’ll totally drive down and check it out, I’m only a couple hours away.

OP
OP
Jayreefer

Jayreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just gave them a call and was told they do like to carry them but are out. I was told to try back in a couple weeks.

Thanks for the lead.

OP
OP
Jayreefer

Jayreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered the female peacock posted on live aquaria today. Will post pics when she comes in.

OP
OP
Jayreefer

Jayreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also after waiting this long for a mantis I did some tank upgrades. Check out mantis tank 2.0. The tank is a 48 gallon Mr Aqua. Running the 300w Viparspectra mounted with Orphic Atlantic mount kit. Can't wait for her to get here.
20191017_194346.jpg

ashs_exotics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also after waiting this long for a mantis I did some tank upgrades. Check out mantis tank 2.0. The tank is a 48 gallon Mr Aqua. Running the 300w Viparspectra mounted with Orphic Atlantic mount kit. Can't wait for her to get here.
20191017_194346.jpg
Dude that’s gonna be awesome, can’t wait to see how everything turns out!

OP
OP
Jayreefer

Jayreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Peacock has landed! A beautiful female arrived from Live Aquaria. She was packed well and was alert right from the start. She is about 4"

She was curious during acclimation.

20191022_103427.jpg

She passed inspection with no signs off shell rot.

20191022_114901.jpg

Live Aquaria noted a blemish. Looks like an old bight wound that is healing up as she molts.

20191022_114908.jpg

And exploring as soon as she hit the tank.

20191022_115101.jpg

20191022_115821.jpg

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful colors on that Peacock!

Can't wait to see the tank as she settles down.

Still can't not hear the ZeFrank video on Mantis shrimp, though... I heard his voice as I looked at all the pictures...

ashs_exotics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Peacock has landed! A beautiful female arrived from Live Aquaria. She was packed well and was alert right from the start. She is about 4"

She was curious during acclimation.

20191022_103427.jpg

She passed inspection with no signs off shell rot.

20191022_114901.jpg

Live Aquaria noted a blemish. Looks like an old bight wound that is healing up as she molts.

20191022_114908.jpg

And exploring as soon as she hit the tank.

20191022_115101.jpg

20191022_115821.jpg
Awesome! Glad to hear they got you a good peacock. Really appreciate the feedback. Can’t wait to get one of my own!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 101 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back