LFS, Chromis, Uronema, and it's affect on future livestock.

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in a LFS the other day and saw they had a group of chromis. Not of great interest to me, but a couple had red blotches and my amateur guess was a possible uronema infection given the reported prevalence.

It made me wonder, given the recommended "bleach everything and throw the rest away" protocol for irradicating it. Doesn't this mean that uronema is likely to be in the tanks indefinitely at the LFS since they don't do such tear downs? What about the distributors that sent said chromis... aren't those systems infected too? Wouldn't that mean the entire supply chain has a never ending uronema exposure (not unlike the presumed widespread ich).

Or are other species so much less susceptible to contracting it that it's not a major concern? Any clarification on this issue? I did read the Humblefish entry and it's confusing saying "definitely don't want in DT" but then most of our basic QT protocols (TTM or copper -> prazi) don't directly address erradication.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uronema is a ubiquitous protozoan that is found in most mature aquariums and normally feeds on bacteria. For unknown reasons, it becomes pathogenic on certain newly acquired fish: chromis, anthias and wrasse. Take a look at my post in the article section here on “red band disease”.
Jay

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 60.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 66 27.4%

Back