LFS long island

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been looking for an LFS on long Island, Ive been going to pro reef aquatics and think their pretty good (clean tanks, helpful staff that didn't try and get me to by stuff I didn't need) but I am a new reefer and dont perfectly know what to look for price-wise and such.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where on Long Island are you? Suffolk / Nassau? I’d do a Google search and try to visit an LFS within a 50-60 mile radius, maybe one or two every couple of weekends until you’ve visited them all. It can be a lot of fun. Some might just be a dirty hole in the wall, others more like a clean doctor’s office. But after that you will probably know which two or three you’ll be using to do all your future shopping. You’re favorites. :) Best wishes!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live out east in Suffolk in Riverhead. There are 2 stores 10 miles west of here but none east of them.

One place is filthy but has been there 50 years and is the place I go to. I am going there today. His prices are about a third of any other place on Long Island or anywhere else. Good selection but has no phone. Like, yeah, I know.

That is Aqua Hut in Coram.

Another place is on the same road (112) in Patchogue. Much bigger and cleaner (although they are doing renovation now and changing all their tanks so not much there this week)

Prices are high there but they can probably answer your questions. It's called "Pets something". But in Patchogue.

Another brand new place opened last year in Patchogue. Beautiful place but expensive and I have not been there in 2 years so don't know if it is still there.

Just a Wrasse.

The biggest wrasse fan.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a reccomendation but look fish stores up on google, read the rewiews and you might find something.

OP
OP
SlugSnorter

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live out east in Suffolk in Riverhead. There are 2 stores 10 miles west of here but none east of them.

One place is filthy but has been there 50 years and is the place I go to. I am going there today. His prices are about a third of any other place on Long Island or anywhere else. Good selection but has no phone. Like, yeah, I know.

Another place is on the same road (112) in Patchogue. Much bigger and cleaner (although they are doing renovation now and changing all their tanks so not much there this week)

Prices are high there but they can probably answer your questions. It's called "Pets something". But in Patchogue.

Another brand new place opened last year in Patchogue. Beautiful place but expensive and I have not been there in 2 years so don't know if it is still there.
thats pro reef I think

OP
OP
SlugSnorter

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where on Long Island are you? Suffolk / Nassau? I’d do a Google search and try to visit an LFS within a 50-60 mile radius, maybe one or two every couple of weekends until you’ve visited them all. It can be a lot of fun. Some might just be a dirty hole in the wall, others more like a clean doctor’s office. But after that you will probably know which two or three you’ll be using to do all your future shopping. You’re favorites. :) Best wishes!
thanks! im up island so its a pretty long drive, guess ill stick to the one ive visited

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grew up in Wading River— but now I’m in Florida within an hour of Top Shelf Aquatics and World Wide Corals. (I say that just to make you jealous.) :)

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good to hear Aqua Hut is still around, I was a regular there and the now gone Magic Isle from the 70's until I moved off of LI in 2008. The place is the aquarium equivalent of a dive bar, but the guy always took care of the livestock and the prices were great.

Remember to lock your car and leave your valuables at home if you go there. That is one drug addled dump of a neighborhood for sure....

TheSherm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what you're looking for. For fish, pro-reef and island fish and scale in commack QT their fish. They will not sell you a fish that is showing any signs of not being healthy. Thats very important to me. The guys at pro reef and Ryan at Island Fish and Scale are all very knowledgable and helpful. I highly recommend both of them. For coral, TJM (works with Island Fish and Scale in Commack) and Tropical Island in Deer Park are the two I visit. Healthy coral and prices are good. Country Critters is great for equipment and they have plumbing and other types of items you wouldn't find anywhere else. Also, Id recommend you join some of the local groups on Facebook or consider join gin LIRA (Long Island Reef Association). Lots of good people there also.

hhaase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LIRA was a GREAT group to be a part of. Their meetings were always enjoyable and useful, Heck they even had Marc Levenson (Melevs Reef) fly out to give a presentation one time. Even as a 'new guy' they treated me great. That was one club I felt the dues were well worth it.

Manhattan Reef is another club that does a heck of a lot, and often has things going on further out into Nassau/Suffolk.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 29 50.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 30 52.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • None.

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.3%
Back