LFS recceomended turning skimmer and fleece roller with new tank?

BetterJake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently set up a new tank with live rock from my LFS and "live" Fiji pink sand, I'm also dosing MicroBacter7 for the first 14 days to improve bacteria diversity. I'm already detecting around 2/3 ppm Nitrate and low levels of ammonia. In the next few days I plan to add a pair of clownish as well.

My LFS recommended not turning on the skimmer or fleece roller for potentially the first few months, as 'over filtration' would be bad for establishing the tank. What are your thoughts on this? I think the skimmer makes sense to leave off as the waste will help to speed up the nitrate cycle or no? What about the fleece roller?

Thanks!

OP
OP
BetterJake

BetterJake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave them off sounds good for now. The skimmer will be the only thing pulling out bacteria though.
I'm thinking I will leave them off as well.

I'll likely just keep an eye on my parameters, if nitrates are getting too high in between water changes, post cycle, I think that's the time to switch them on.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Recently set up a new tank with live rock from my LFS and "live" Fiji pink sand, I'm also dosing MicroBacter7 for the first 14 days to improve bacteria diversity. I'm already detecting around 2/3 ppm Nitrate and low levels of ammonia. In the next few days I plan to add a pair of clownish as well.

My LFS recommended not turning on the skimmer or fleece roller for potentially the first few months, as 'over filtration' would be bad for establishing the tank. What are your thoughts on this? I think the skimmer makes sense to leave off as the waste will help to speed up the nitrate cycle or no? What about the fleece roller?

Thanks!
Skimmer can hold and if you have little waste or not yet feeding- leave fleece off also as it will provide no biological help

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only purchase when the time comes where you feel like you need the added support. My tank does much better without a skimmer.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 41.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back