LFS wont sell unless 0 nitrates

MindlessToxin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I'm new to reefing and saltwater. I've been constantly researching, watching videos and reading up on the hobby for the last few months. I'm currently waiting on my 75 gallon to finish it's initial cycle. I'm doing Dr. Tim's fishless cycle and so far it's processing ammonia into nitrite/ nitrate. Still waiting on my nitrites to start coming down.

I was talking to the guy at my LFS and he knows I'm new and that I'm waiting on my cycle to finish before I get my first fish(pair of clowns). He told me I needed to bring a sample of water that is showing no nitrites, NO NITRATES and little to no ammonia. This is where I am super confused. I said okay so I need to do large(50%) water change to get rid of the nitrates and he said "no that will get rid of all the good bacteria". He then said that once the cycle is complete that the nitrates would come down.

Correct me I'm wrong but isn't water change the only way to get rid of nitrates at the point of being cycled?? Unless I have something that is consuming nitrates like Algae, Chaeto, Corals. I feel like either they are uneducated on the subject or I am.

If I am right it's a little frustrating for me that I have to bring a test showing 0 nitrates. Especially considering that's the cleanest LFS in town with the healthiest looking fish.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is fine to start stocking slowly. Nitrites are not harmful to marine fish. All reefs need nitrate or corals starve and it promotes dino's. It's great your LFS cares about its livestock, but they are no saltwater experts.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how funny is old cycling science

this cycle is done, they want to oververify, but they won't tell the OP about quarantine and fallow from the diseased fish they sell at the pet store (all pet stores)

old cycling science is always fearful about bacteria when they shouldn't be, and 100% never concerned about disease which they for sure should be. your fallow and qt is the most important step, bottle bac makers got the cycle done for you as soon as you tipped the bottle into the tank. after a week's wait, those bacteria are stuck to the rocks...nobody has trouble carrying fish due to a cycle issue, it's disease that gets 'em in the end.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He told me I needed to bring a sample of water that is showing no nitrites, NO NITRATES and little to no ammonia. This is where I am super confused. I said okay so I need to do large(50%) water change to get rid of the nitrates and he said "no that will get rid of all the good bacteria". He then said that once the cycle is complete that the nitrates would come down.

Correct me I'm wrong but isn't water change the only way to get rid of nitrates at the point of being cycled?? Unless I have something that is consuming nitrates like Algae, Chaeto, Corals. I feel like either they are uneducated on the subject or I am.
Yeah, your LFS is wrong here - I'd assume they confused Nitrites and Nitrates (though Nitrites aren't harmful in saltwater).

-Most of the nitrifying bacteria in a cycled tank is going to be benthic (growing on surfaces like the rocks) not pelagic (floating in the water column), so changing the water shouldn't remove the bacteria in any meaningful quantity.

-If nothing in the tank is consuming nitrate, then yeah, water changes would be the only way to lower the nitrate level in the tank.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They certainly didnt mispeak the part about "don't change water or you will lose all your good bacteria". That is pure nonsense. Hopefully that was just some new worker and not the owner or manager. I'd probably go back or call and try to speak to the manager/owner about these claims.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post this thread on their Facebook page for fun

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forum hacks aren't running a business. LFS should be held to higher regard and be a reliable source of up to date, accurate info or they should just sell fish and not dole out advice.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This LFS guy has no clue what he is talking about unless he meant nitrite (which is still misinformed).

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you're right, you want zero ammonia but zero nitrates isn't realistic or desirable... show him this thread next time you go in so he can study up :grinning-squinting-face:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back