Life after Dino algae.....do I nuke the cyano?

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope the dino does not return. I seen Reefbum had dino and used vibrant to kill it and then had cyano. He used chemiclean and once the cyano was gone, the dino came back with a vengeance.

Adele

I don't sing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been having a major cyano outbreak since getting rid of Dino algae. Last week I siphoned out as much as I could, changed out my GAC and bolstered my cleanup crew.

I’m so tempted to nuke the cyano but what do you advise me to do?

Thanks! :)
Wow. I’m in the same position. Life after Dino left me in the red haze aftermath and I just haven’t felt good about nukeing it with chemiclean yet. I hit it with some peroxide but it’s coming back. I will be very interested in the responses here.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh yes the coral is fine! Coral and inverts do just fine.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemiclean works 100% of the time if it is dosed correctly per the instructions. Most importantly, you have to determine the near exact water volume to dose. Tank volume, minus rock displacement, plus actual sump volume. People are often "afraid" of the product and under-dose and then come back and say "waa, it didn't work!" or over-dose and say "waa, this product is evil it nuked my tank". It's very important to have a well oxygenated tank as well, so adding an air stone is always a good idea, or keep the skimmer running, but remove the collection cup.

Viner87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. I’m in the same position. Life after Dino left me in the red haze aftermath and I just haven’t felt good about nukeing it with chemiclean yet. I hit it with some peroxide but it’s coming back. I will be very interested in the responses here.

Seem like us dinos brothers are all in the same boat with cyano then

Simon Cushing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally speaking,I have not suffered any Cyno outbreak, but I have heard that having 0 phosphate can be a issue!! My only input would be to Baste the rocks and sand plus increase the flow rate where the heaviest signs of cyano is, siphon out and do water changes every two days. Personally I wouldn't go for any chemical use.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rev consider another lights out for as long as you can. This worked very well for me . Took care of the cyano & diatoms!

kirbuno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't have Dino's but rather hair algae. Did a chemical treatment and got rid of the algae but the cyano came in to take it's place. Treated with chemaclean, and must've undertreated as it didn't go away.
By the way, I didn't on purpose under dose. Made my best guess as to actual water quantity. I had to try to subtract all the rockwork and pump equipment I have in the tank and sump, so it isn't very scientific guessing the water volume.
Anyway I didn't want to do a second dose back to back to the first one so I'm in a waiting game now. The good news, after three weeks, the tank seems to be slowly getting better on its own. I'd say it's 75% cyano free now. Thinking I'm going to continue waiting it out, unless it turns back the wrong way.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. I can beat Cyano no problem. I have done it many times. I'm just asking those who might have dealt with dinos and then cyano. I don't want to trigger the devil algae again! :p
I did use chemiclean after the Dino’s to get rid of cyno .. I just added extra bacteria as well after the chemiclean for a few weeks but you should be doing that anyway for the Dino’s !!

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps also doing some coraline scrapings off your glass and equipment, to speed up its dispersal after you have removed the chemiclean.
Might help seed any surfaces previously covered in the dinos or cyano.

Crimson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had cyano and used chemiclean which indirectly resulted in my Dino outbreak. In my case as soon as the chemiclean did its thing I added too much GFO to prevent GHA. That resulted in Dino outbreak because the po4 dropped way too low (least my theory).

I beat or reduced the dino using the dirty method with Dino x and UV not sure which one worked. However, GHA started to overtake and once again I got too aggressive and my po4 and no3 dropped too low and dino's came back. uhh. I am failing to balance/stabilize my tank.

One plus is I did not get cyano again though.

dean.reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano clean and coral snow by kz,takes about a week or two to kick in then dose a few times a week as a preventative

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So far so good! My tank hasn't looked this good in probably a year! Started performing a 15% water change each week. So far three water changes in and all is well! Coraline is taking off like crazy, corals that were doing bad are coloring up fast!

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far so good! My tank hasn't looked this good in probably a year! Started performing a 15% water change each week. So far three water changes in and all is well! Coraline is taking off like crazy, corals that were doing bad are coloring up fast!

Great update!!! Everyone has been rooting for you.

Chad

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you Chad!

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I’ve been having a major cyano outbreak since getting rid of Dino algae. Last week I siphoned out as much as I could, changed out my GAC and bolstered my cleanup crew.

I’m so tempted to nuke the cyano but what do you advise me to do?

Thanks! :)

Cyno is a extreemly common bacteria and you will just get it again eventually. Learn how to take care of the problem or you will just be frustrated down the road again.. A little cyano is ok it is completely normal.

Servillius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad it’s working out but my experience is nuking the cyano risks a return of the dino. The two solutions to cyano I’ve had good luck with are KZ A-Balance and Dr. Tim’s Recommended treatment.

KZ doesn’t appear to work right away but over time has really cleaned things up. None of that is a substitute for getting things in a healthy balance, but it’s an assist.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cyno is a extreemly common bacteria and you will just get it again eventually. Learn how to take care of the problem or you will just be frustrated down the road again.. A little cyano is ok it is completely normal.

Well thank you but being in he hobby so many years I am well aware! HA! I have had cyano MANY times. This case was different because it was after a year battle with Dino algae. I didn't want to set it off again. I am still having some cyano issues but I am taking it one step at a time!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.6%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 168 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back