Life rock cycle

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I’m setting up a new FOWLR, I have added 200# Caribsea Pink Fiji sand and will be adding 140# life rock. Both products say they have bacteria. How much will this assist or speed the cycle process if any?
And would I still cycle it the same by adding ammonia? I have always only fish in cycled in the past. Going to be adding angels etc, so thinking it might be best to cycle with ammonia.
Thanks for any advise.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s really alive (rock & sand) it should be fine
655956C4-34F6-4E05-9638-91463F5B6613.jpeg

Just set this up with wet sand and rock. The sand was from the old tank( bought and moved) and the rock is from my wet storage bucket collection of rock I keep in my garage, wet with low or no circulation. Rock was also rinse in salt water before I added it.

Two clowns came with the tank, skimmer filtration and water motion for the first week and the I added her fish collection to the tank. Also the anemone that has split now.

No loses, I put a sps colony in and it is fading-PO4 ~0.500, dropped it quickly in half and then it started to fade.

I don’t measure ammonia. Tank was never stinky or cloudy, fish swimming normally and eating 3x/day to lower aggression. The Purple tang punched a hole in the side of my chocolate tang 3 days ago it’s almost healed so I fed way too much but they are happy.

I did add like 5 drops of microbacter 7 that came with the tank when I filled it wit NSW from Scripps “pier” hose bib.

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If it’s really alive (rock & sand) it should be fine
655956C4-34F6-4E05-9638-91463F5B6613.jpeg

Just set this up with wet sand and rock. The sand was from the old tank( bought and moved) and the rock is from my wet storage bucket collection of rock I keep in my garage, wet with low or no circulation. Rock was also rinse in salt water before I added it.

Two clowns came with the tank, skimmer filtration and water motion for the first week and the I added her fish collection to the tank. Also the anemone that has split now.

No loses, I put a sps colony in and it is fading-PO4 ~0.500, dropped it quickly in half and then it started to fade.

I don’t measure ammonia. Tank was never stinky or cloudy, fish swimming normally and eating 3x/day to lower aggression. The Purple tang punched a hole in the side of my chocolate tang 3 days ago it’s almost healed so I fed way too much but they are happy.

I did add like 5 drops of microbacter 7 that came with the tank when I filled it wit NSW from Scripps “pier” hose bib.
None of the rock or sand is established. The Caribsea sand is brand new just opened and put in tank during set up. The Life Rock also from Caribsea is shipping next couple days. Their info says it is infused with bacteria. Just wondering if it really is and wether it “works”. Don’t want to ammonia stress the fish.
220 gallons so I feel it would be pretty safe to add a few smaller fish, but I don’t know if angels are hardy enough.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Concur. I have little faith, or a healthy skepticism towards bagged "live" sand that is sold that way.

Perhaps ironically, I think getting live mud from live rock vendors is a good idea.

In your case, it would not hurt to add a little ammonia and see how long it takes to be consumed before you add any fish. If the rock is working it shouldn't take long at all, and if not you will know to wait.

Lets see what others have experienced?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’m setting up a new FOWLR, I have added 200# Caribsea Pink Fiji sand and will be adding 140# life rock. Both products say they have bacteria. How much will this assist or speed the cycle process if any?
And would I still cycle it the same by adding ammonia? I have always only fish in cycled in the past. Going to be adding angels etc, so thinking it might be best to cycle with ammonia.
Thanks for any advise.
Live rock or LIFE rock ?
If its life rock as pictured below, its a synthetic product and has no cycle time but you can seed tank with Micro Bacter XLM to build u your denitrifying bacteria culture

1659219272942.png

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Live rock or LIFE rock ?
If its life rock as pictured below, its a synthetic product and has no cycle time but you can seed tank with Micro Bacter XLM to build u your denitrifying bacteria culture

1659219272942.png
This is what Caribsea says about their Life Rock. That is why I’m asking. I’m guessing I need to run a normal cycle. Just don’t want to stall it with too much ammonia.

LifeRock is infused with spored bacteria to aid in biological performance, along with millions of micro and macro passage ways CaribSea's LifeRock Dry Rock is perfect for the environmentally friendly aquarist.

• Creates a mature looking reef instantly
  • 100% safe for all marine animals
  • Unique pieces
  • Environmentally friendly

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is what Caribsea says about their Life Rock. That is why I’m asking. I’m guessing I need to run a normal cycle. Just don’t want to stall it with too much ammonia.

LifeRock is infused with spored bacteria to aid in biological performance, along with millions of micro and macro passage ways CaribSea's LifeRock Dry Rock is perfect for the environmentally friendly aquarist.

• Unique pieces
Yes, seed with Bacteria. Opposed to live rock, it offers no bacteria or seeding capability

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

• Unique pieces
I’ve used caribsea life rock and it does not instantly cycle a tank. I would still use some bottled bacteria and ammonia (and seed it with some real live rock if possible).

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I’ve used caribsea life rock and it does not instantly cycle a tank. I would still use some bottled bacteria and ammonia (and seed it with some real live rock if possible).
Thanks. I knew it wouldn’t instantly cycle. Even live rock isn’t instant. Just never used Life Rock before, and so many things have changed since the 80’s when bottled bacteria was considered useless.
Thanks.

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
@MaxTremors @vetteguy53081 @KrisReef
So a question on cycling. I have some Cespitularia in my reefs. It grows like crazy. I want to move it into the new tank. If the angels eat it I’m ok with that. If not it will add a cool element. Can you put a hardy coral that in a tank that you are cycling or will the ammonia hurt it? This would give me some live rock to help with the seeding.
Thanks. Otherwise I’ll add after the cycle.

Rovert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding from these products like 'life rock' and CaribSea 'Ocean Direct' is that they (allegedly) contain dormant bacteria. How long it takes for that dormant bacterial to ramp up is anyone's guess. I started with 3 bags of SeaFlor and 2 bags of OceanDirect, dosed with Microbacter7 and also added live rock. With the die-off from the rock (despite the 'priority' air cargo shipment) adding both ammonia and live bacteria, I managed to cycle the tank in under 3 weeks.

If you can get samples of sand and/or rubble from other reefers and drop that into the tank or sump, you have a far better chance of cycling sooner and creating a more diverse ecosystem.

YMMV.

Last edited:

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MaxTremors @vetteguy53081 @KrisReef
So a question on cycling. I have some Cespitularia in my reefs. It grows like crazy. I want to move it into the new tank. If the angels eat it I’m ok with that. If not it will add a cool element. Can you put a hardy coral that in a tank that you are cycling or will the ammonia hurt it? This would give me some live rock to help with the seeding.
Thanks. Otherwise I’ll add after the cycle.
Low levels of ammonia shouldn’t kill it, but I would probably wait until it’s cycled.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back