life rock vs base rock

yourendofdays

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going through here I see people who love the life rock and others who think it's junk. I'm wondering, there's a great sale on both the life rock ($2.89/lb) and the south seas base rock (comes to $2.10/lb). Being that this is my first reef, I'm not overly concerned about the purple color right away, but am liking the idea that some people experienced faster cycle and skipped the "ugly phase" with the life rock. Assuming I'm going to be using live sand & bacteria starter, is there any benefit of one over the other?
I guess a solid question too, assuming anyone used it, is the base rock similar to dry base rock woud buy at an lfs like a lot of people start with?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Y

yourendofdays

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats part of what I'm asking. I've seen some people say the life stuff isn't porous enough. Is the base stuff the same thing just without the spray, or is it closer to the lfs stuff?

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I experienced, and Read using Live rock is risky as it carries unwanted riders. You may want to clarify what your store actually is selling you as live rock. I bought " live " rock, but it is still man Sorry People made lol It is just in salt water with maybe bacteria added. You should ask then I am not sure but then no concern about critters or worse. Picture of mine don't know how important it being porous
IMGP1057.JPG

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would need to post a link to be sure but generally base rock is the term used for 'dead' live rock, basically larger pieces of coral rubble and it is usually very porous. Life Rock is manufactured and as hard as they try I've yet to see manufactured rock that is as porous as the real thing.

Porosity is important. The rock is normally your primary biological filtration and the home for most of the critters (visible and too-small-too-see) your tank will acquire. Porosity adds surface area for population of bacteria and critters.

Airwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got 40 lbs of the south seas base rock from petsmart at about the same price you are posting. I am surprised at how porous and full of holes it is. I am glad I went that route over the life rock.

The rock goes a long ways. I could have probably gotten by with 30 lbs or maybe even 20 in my 32 bio cube.

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked up South Seas Base Rock at PetSmart thanks to the post from @Airwolf . It looks like real coral but I doubt it was what we used to call base rock. Based on their description of zero impact it is probably quarried ancient coral reef from inland sources like Marco Rock. Still it looks good to me. I have Life Rock in my tank and would trade it in a minute for the base rock.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read somewhere here that someone started a business putting man made rock in the ocean for quit a while, and keeps the cycle going so created a very lucrative business

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 84 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back