Life-time GHL ION probe

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

What was the life-time of your ION probe?

• 0 months (never worked)

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • 0-1 month

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • 1-2 months

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • 2-3 months

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • 3-4 months

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • 4-5 months

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • +6 months

Votes: 4 14.8%

• Total voters

Fisherman Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would have been nice to receive it first. 2 years on a waiting list with little to no communication.

Asked for a refund.

Fisherman Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get a refund and was it difficult?
No. I emailed them and asked for a refund given that I’ve been waiting 2 years and they sent the money back, but like I said before they really don’t have a choice but to refund you. Most banks would take the money back after non-delivery of goods.

I am really regretting my decision to invest in GHL. Poor communication and honestly I don’t think they give a ****. They just ignore me now. I have like 4 broken things I’m under warranty they won’t do anything about.

Get your money back and move on.

fishy27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. I emailed them and asked for a refund given that I’ve been waiting 2 years and they sent the money back, but like I said before they really don’t have a choice but to refund you. Most banks would take the money back after non-delivery of goods.

I am really regretting my decision to invest in GHL. Poor communication and honestly I don’t think they give a ****. They just ignore me now. I have like 4 broken things I’m under warranty they won’t do anything about.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll probably be asking for a refund very soon. I opened a ticket to see how much longer so let's see their response.

ReeferCPA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Man! I really I really seeing this kind of a thing. But after the experience I just had with some probes going out, and dealing their ticket system/warranty process, I'm not a fan.

I had a probe stop functioning prior to the warranty period expiring (and the data that they asked for screenshots of shows this) but they are not honoring it because I opened the ticket a few weeks too late. I thought it was just a simple calibration thing so I didn't rush to fix it immediately. Had I known it would play out like this I would have at least hurried to get a ticket submitted. I just didn't think it was a failure issue at 6 months old.

Based off my experience being pretty consistant with others', don't think I'll be investing in anymore GHL equipment either, or saying anything good from this point on. It may be well built but so is a brick. The system is SLOW, a pain to use, it was almost impossible to set up, and there's NOTHING flattering about the UI. It actually ain't that great. I guess I was I was willing to look past it because it wasn't orange and looked like a toy.

I think orange is about to be my new favorite color.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man! I really I really seeing this kind of a thing. But after the experience I just had with some probes going out, and dealing their ticket system/warranty process, I'm not a fan.

I had a probe stop functioning prior to the warranty period expiring (and the data that they asked for screenshots of shows this) but they are not honoring it because I opened the ticket a few weeks too late. I thought it was just a simple calibration thing so I didn't rush to fix it immediately. Had I known it would play out like this I would have at least hurried to get a ticket submitted. I just didn't think it was a failure issue at 6 months old.

Based off my experience being pretty consistant with others', don't think I'll be investing in anymore GHL equipment either, or saying anything good from this point on. It may be well built but so is a brick. The system is SLOW, a pain to use, it was almost impossible to set up, and there's NOTHING flattering about the UI. It actually ain't that great. I guess I was I was willing to look past it because it wasn't orange and looked like a toy.

I think orange is about to be my new favorite color.
Any company that hunts for technicalities not to put their customer first goes on my "do not buy from" list. Unfortunately there seems to be a higher percentage of those in this hobby than elsewhere. After decades in this hobby my preferred supplier list is shorter than my do not buy from list. Before you tell me that this is typical, keep in mind that I spent decades as a director level manager in three different fortune 100 retailers. Always gave customers the benefit of the doubt unless I could prove they were trying to cheat us. Just smart business. GHL lost me over $60 so I spent $2800 on another brand.

ReeferCPA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any company that hunts for technicalities not to put their customer first goes on my "do not buy from" list. Unfortunately there seems to be a higher percentage of those in this hobby than elsewhere. After decades in this hobby my preferred supplier list is shorter than my do not buy from list. Before you tell me that this is typical, keep in mind that I spent decades as a director level manager in three different fortune 100 retailers. Always gave customers the benefit of the doubt unless I could prove they were trying to cheat us. Just smart business. GHL lost me over $60 so I spent $2800 on another brand.
Yup they lost me over an $80ish probe. He asked if I wanted an invoice for the probe. I declined. I’ll buy a cheap one to hold me over until a BRS Black Friday sale or something.
I know I’ll take a loss on the Profilux, but I don’t care. I’ll glad make a donation to BRS in exchange for an apex. That whole circle does way more for the hobby and the innovation within than GHL could ever dream of. GHL can barely even make a decent instructional video or manual. In the end I want something that manufacturer stands behind. Guess I’ll pay the stupid tax on this one.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With GHL now advertising their new dosers and now stream/return pumps, it feels like the IOND is disappearing entirely. I can’t find anyone selling it in the States outside of a few hobbyists looking to shed theirs. I really wish this tech would have worked out.

Matthias Gross

GHL Team
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to read here about bad experience(s) about the IOND sensors.
Yes, we stated (and still do) a 6 month limited sensor warranty.

I think everybody understands that we need some proof and need to find out if there is something wrong in the setup and/or use of the probe before we replace a probe on warranty for free. We wouldn't ask these details if not necessary.
If there is a valid claim the sensor is replaced under the limited warranty conditions.

That said, I want to add:
With GHL now advertising their new dosers and now stream/return pumps, it feels like the IOND is disappearing entirely.
Completely wrong, the opposite is true. We have invested many many hours and tons of money in the IOND and especially in improving the accuracy and life span of the sensor.
We are going to make a huge announcement very soon about the next generation of sensors.

IOND shipments continue as soon as we get enough sensors to fulfil the demand. Since we are very near a solution to the sensor shortage (see point 1) this will happen soon. Of course also our dealers will receive then their pre-orders. There are still several thousand of pre-ordered IOND open.

We are very aware of this situation, the IOND sensor shortage/problem has still highest priority. This is also a reason why new developments had been a bit slow recently. This will change now, a lot to come.

Matthias Gross

GHL Team
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another point to add: yes, sensor replacements are slow sometimes, too slow. I don't like that. The problem is that the sensor vendor can't keep up with demand. But as explained above, the sensor problem has been addressed, a solution is just round the corner.

Matthias Gross

GHL Team
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get a refund and was it difficult?
Nothing is here difficult at all. When someone ask for a refund it will be granted ASAP. No questions asked.

Here I want to thank all our loyal and patient customers. We have thousands of pre-orders, some of them are very old - we know that - and the overwhelming majority is not asking for a refund.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I think everybody understands that we need some proof and need to find out if there is something wrong in the setup and/or use of the probe before we replace a probe on warranty for free. We wouldn't ask these details if not necessary.
If there is a valid claim the sensor is replaced under the limited warranty conditions.

That said, I want to add:

Completely wrong, the opposite is true. We have invested many many hours and tons of money in the IOND and especially in improving the accuracy and life span of the sensor.
We are going to make a huge announcement very soon about the next generation of sensors.

IOND shipments continue as soon as we get enough sensors to fulfil the demand. Since we are very near a solution to the sensor shortage (see point 1) this will happen soon. Of course also our dealers will receive then their pre-orders. There are still several thousand of pre-ordered IOND open.

We are very aware of this situation, the IOND sensor shortage/problem has still highest priority. This is also a reason why new developments had been a bit slow recently. This will change now, a lot to come.
Thanks for the update/reply! To be honest, getting updates/news from GHL has been difficult. I know the forums are a harsh environment at times, but there is little information flow through official channels on the IOND. When we see vendors stating ‘Discontinued’ on the IOND, hearing people complain about the probes/setup, and seeing GHL actively announce new products and not mentioning anything on IOND, I hope you can see how my conclusions were drawn.

I look forward to seeing the probe quality and availability issues resolved with the next generation of sensors coming (hopefully in weeks and not months?)

Matthias Gross

GHL Team
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is: WE DON'T GET RELIABLE INFORMATION FROM OUR SENSOR VENDOR EITHER!

That's why we are so silent at the moment in regards to IOND (sensor) updates, we made the mistake previously that we announced preliminary information and later it turned out that the vendor was too optimistic.

But we took measures to solve this sensor problem, we will see the results this year. I know, this is not in a few weeks, but very likely within the next 2-3 months. As said, a huge announcement in regards to the IOND sensors is coming.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The problem is: WE DON'T GET RELIABLE INFORMATION FROM OUR SENSOR VENDOR EITHER!

That's why we are so silent at the moment in regards to IOND (sensor) updates, we made the mistake previously that we announced preliminary information and later it turned out that the vendor was too optimistic.

But we took measures to solve this sensor problem, we will see the results this year. I know, this is not in a few weeks, but very likely within the next 2-3 months. As said, a huge announcement in regards to the IOND sensors is coming.
I can empathize with you on unreliable vendor dependencies! See that in my job all the time. I know you are busy so greatly appreciate you taking the time to respond.

ReeferCPA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Matthias Gross
Mine was with a pH probe. The probe failed within 6 months, and my data shows it. I didn't immediately go submitting a ticket because a I thought it was just a simple calibration issue. I figured 6 months, time to recalibrate, seemed like a reasonable assumption. So I recalibrated, twice. After doing what I could on my end, then I submitted a ticket apparently a couple weeks too late. The ticket may have been submitted a couple weeks after the warranty period, but the probe still failed within 6 months....

Seems like a gotcha to me...a technicality. I'm not trying cheat anyone here. Had it failed 1 day after the warranty period, I wouldn't necessarily be happy, but I would feel cheated.

ReeferCPA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Matthias Gross
Mine was with a pH probe. The probe failed within 6 months, and my data shows it. I didn't immediately go submitting a ticket because a I thought it was just a simple calibration issue. I figured 6 months, time to recalibrate, seemed like a reasonable assumption. So I recalibrated, twice. After doing what I could on my end, then I submitted a ticket apparently a couple weeks too late. The ticket may have been submitted a couple weeks after the warranty period, but the probe still failed within 6 months....

Seems like a gotcha to me...a technicality. I'm not trying cheat anyone here. Had it failed 1 day after the warranty period, I wouldn't necessarily be happy, but I would feel cheated.
Edit: Wouldn't feel cheated*

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back