Life-time GHL ION probe

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

What was the life-time of your ION probe?

• 0 months (never worked)

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • 0-1 month

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • 1-2 months

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • 2-3 months

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • 3-4 months

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • 4-5 months

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • +6 months

Votes: 4 14.3%

• Total voters

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Matthias Gross
Mine was with a pH probe. The probe failed within 6 months, and my data shows it. I didn't immediately go submitting a ticket because a I thought it was just a simple calibration issue. I figured 6 months, time to recalibrate, seemed like a reasonable assumption. So I recalibrated, twice. After doing what I could on my end, then I submitted a ticket apparently a couple weeks too late. The ticket may have been submitted a couple weeks after the warranty period, but the probe still failed within 6 months....

Seems like a gotcha to me...a technicality. I'm not trying cheat anyone here. Had it failed 1 day after the warranty period, I wouldn't necessarily be happy, but I would feel cheated.
In a previous post you mentioned you had SOME probes go out. Which probes besides the PH probe you mentioned go out within 6mo? What reading where you getting when your PH probe failed? I have been running the P4 for 2yrs now and the only probe I had fail was my fault. I cracked the glass on the conductivity probe by tightening the probe holder too much. I purchased spares for the Conductivity and PH probe when I purchased my P4 because I read that they should be replaced at a maximum of 2yrs ( I believe 1-1.5yrs is recommended if I remember correctly ) but can fail early if not taken care of properly. I clean my probes every 2 weeks and calibrate once a month. My original PH probe is still very accurate to this day. Just curious on why you waited so long to calibrate your PH probe? I would of thought you would of seen some historical PH drift on your chart. Calibration is recommended by the vendor every 1-3mo. Every time I calibrate my PH probe I find that the probe had drifted upward about .03-.07 according to my chart data in a month period.

Matthias Gross

GHL Team
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was with a pH probe.
then I wonder why you post here OT, T is about IOND
I repeat myself: we can't discuss individual support / warranty / repair cases in public, these discussions need to happen in our dedicated support ticket system

timry2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has been down since June. Hope to get a replacement probe soon. My real question is what will be the best method to flush the unit out. Its been sitting for over 6 months

Matthias Gross

GHL Team
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, again my and our team's apology for the frustrating and inconvenient situation with the IOND sensors.

We can only repeat what we always tell our customers via our ticket system, in the forums or FB groups.

The sensor vendor has problems, can't keep up with the demand, but we were actively working on an alternative.
We are soooo close for a really great solution for our sensor problem. Since we rely on other companies, especially for the special chemicals, this process is not completely under our control.

So we again ask for understanding and patience. It is a matter of weeks now until we can announce our solution officially.

I don't know what you mean with "flush the unit out". If you want to get rid of it because you don't want it anymore then please contact your point of sale and let us go from there.

Thanks

timry2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, again my and our team's apology for the frustrating and inconvenient situation with the IOND sensors.

We can only repeat what we always tell our customers via our ticket system, in the forums or FB groups.

The sensor vendor has problems, can't keep up with the demand, but we were actively working on an alternative.
We are soooo close for a really great solution for our sensor problem. Since we rely on other companies, especially for the special chemicals, this process is not completely under our control.

So we again ask for understanding and patience. It is a matter of weeks now until we can announce our solution officially.

I don't know what you mean with "flush the unit out". If you want to get rid of it because you don't want it anymore then please contact your point of sale and let us go from there.

Thanks
Thanks for the fast reply. I am refering to the old tank water thats inside of the unit. When the sensor died, i was told to just zero out the test so that it would'nt use up the fluids. That was probally before you realized the problem with the vendor was much worse. Do i run a gallon of fresh water through it to get rid of the stale water, or does it need to soak with a mild vinegar solution. I look forward to using the unit. I was very happy with the few test I was able to run. Thanks again

Matthias Gross

GHL Team
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad I misunderstood you!

There is a button for emptying the measurement cell, after that there should not be left much inside the cell.
But you are right, you are worried about salt residues. Here I would just pump some fresh water through the system and then empty the cell again.

And I must add after all that pressure we experienced the last months:
It is great to know that we have still a huge customer base which is very loyal, patient and supporting! Thank you so much for that!

ReefCheef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another point to add: yes, sensor replacements are slow sometimes, too slow. I don't like that. The problem is that the sensor vendor can't keep up with demand. But as explained above, the sensor problem has been addressed, a solution is just round the corner.
So it has been 3 more months now, any update on this? Or, "still right around the corner?"

Matthias Gross

GHL Team
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not only around the corner. On my desk now for a few weeks and all tests went great. I test daily 10 sensors in parallel. Not one of them showed any decrease in performance, I am very happy with the results. Will test a bit more, if all goes well we (re-) start mass production.
Can't give a final date (again, I know) since I still have no binding date from my vendor who makes the chemical cocktails for the 5 sensors (ions), but this should be cleared the next 2 weeks.

Last edited:

Matthias Gross

GHL Team
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as said, I am personally testing these new sensors like crazy, daily (incl. the holidays)
looking really good (sorry to disappoint the competition and doubters ...)

IOND sensor testing.jpg

BurgerFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered ION Dirdctor in august in online store in Canada. Hope get it soon...

Sm1nts2escape

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching this and waiting. I am in the very beginning stages of Ordering and planning for my first Dream Reef tank. Would be a great device to have hooked to it. Thank you and please keep us updated.

as said, I am personally testing these new sensors like crazy, daily (incl. the holidays)

IOND sensor testing.jpg

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not only around the corner. On my desk now for a few weeks and all tests went great. I test daily 10 sensors in parallel. Not one of them showed any decrease in performance, I am very happy with the results. Will test a bit more, if all goes well we (re-) start mass production.
Can't give a final date (again, I know) since I still have no binding date from my vendor who makes the chemical cocktails for the 5 sensors (ions), but this should be cleared the next 2 weeks.
Matthias - can you update us on the status, please?

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to the BRS website... they have been "discontinued"...? At BRS...?

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Yep, I contacted BRS about that last year and they basically said they had no information on when they would get them, gave up waiting, and marked them as such. Other vendors list the same thing if I recall. Certainly not a good image

nickm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IOND sensor testing.jpg
Any update?

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I contacted BRS about that last year and they basically said they had no information on when they would get them, gave up waiting, and marked them as such. Other vendors list the same thing if I recall. Certainly not a good image

Yeah... I think that once "good image" sailed awhile ago...

Especially with responses from GHL ... including this one...

JaysLittleOcean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think that customers who already ordered and received their units with Defective probes should be placed before people looking to purchase new units/people waiting to receive the unit for the first time who -pre-ordered. My ION Director is sitting there collecting dust for months while I wait not only for one of your distributors from Canada (I'm located in the US) and GHL directly to send our purchased/replacement probes.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 186 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back