OP
danieyella

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone made it though the vacation! Started mixing water last night so I can do a water change tonight. I'll get another photo up soon. I've been slacking. I have everything I think I want to put in there already in, so it's just growout at this point.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things I did not do before uploading this photo: clean the glass. OOPS.
PXL_20201101_205009391.jpg

and a top down for good measure.

PXL_20201101_205043730.jpg

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to pull out buddha, the coral on him was starting to brown and stopped growing so I moved it to the big tank tonight. When I picked him up the water that came out smelled baaadddd so he's out for good. Thankfully I did that right before water change. Everyone is grumpy because they were exposed. Not sure what to do with the empty space now though??? Ideas??

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to pull out buddha, the coral on him was starting to brown and stopped growing so I moved it to the big tank tonight. When I picked him up the water that came out smelled baaadddd so he's out for good. Thankfully I did that right before water change. Everyone is grumpy because they were exposed. Not sure what to do with the empty space now though??? Ideas??
That is such a bummer because it looked so cool!
Maybe you can find a reef safe ceramic one with some holes in it to allow water flow on the inside.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is such a bummer because it looked so cool!
Maybe you can find a reef safe ceramic one with some holes in it to allow water flow on the inside.

I was contemplating taking my Dremel and trying to see if I can drill some flow holes without destroying the whole thing. Right now it's sitting aside, I haven't thrown him out.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was contemplating taking my Dremel and trying to see if I can drill some flow holes without destroying the whole thing. Right now it's sitting aside, I haven't thrown him out.
Maybe that’s all it needs is some flow through it...it actually could be pretty cool if one of your fish and up hiding in him.
Unless you think the plastic is leaching something.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe that’s all it needs is some flow through it...it actually could be pretty cool if one of your fish and up hiding in him.
Unless you think the plastic is leaching something.

I didn't consider it was leeching anything, it's meant to be an aquarium ornament but saltwater definitely affects things differently than freshwater. I keep chemi-pure blue nano in the back so I would hope the carbon in that helps negate anything in the tank. I also do about a 90% water change weekly so nothing has long term time to brew as long as I can get flow through it. All of my corals and fish/inverts have been fine with the exception of the cyphastrea which I honestly think just wasn't a fan of the bright/direct light.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't consider it was leeching anything, it's meant to be an aquarium ornament but saltwater definitely affects things differently than freshwater. I keep chemi-pure blue nano in the back so I would hope the carbon in that helps negate anything in the tank. I also do about a 90% water change weekly so nothing has long term time to brew as long as I can get flow through it. All of my corals and fish/inverts have been fine with the exception of the cyphastrea which I honestly think just wasn't a fan of the bright/direct light.
That’s the answer that makes the most sense then.
A couple holes to get better flow inside and you will be back to the gorgeous tank with Buddha.
Your tank is honestly one of my favorite tanks on R2R! So peaceful and such a good vibe. That’s a good tank to come home to.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple holes to get better flow inside and you will be back to the gorgeous tank with Buddha.
Your tank is honestly one of my favorite tanks on R2R! So peaceful and such a good vibe. That’s a good tank to come home to.

Awh thanks, I was actually about to take him and get to drilling. Hopefully that will solve the problem and I can find a nice encrusting monti that likes the brighter light for him instead.... I'm really pleased with how this tank is coming along. I was expecting a much bigger challenge with it being so small but its been pretty smooth so far!

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well, that was also way easier than expected. Tiny stone cutter tip on the dremel and multiple holes are in. He's soaking in some RODI to be safe before I put him back into the tank.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newbies arrived LATE yesterday (should have been before noon but got here after 5pm), but they seemed happy still. Here's a photo, they're still adjusting I'm sure, but I do see polyps out on most of them. Hopefully this goes smooth. I'm nervous.
PXL_20201112_130359883.jpg

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered a couple very tiny reactors from https://makerofthingsdesign.com/printed-aqua pretty excited to get those in and running in the next few weeks (looks like a 3 week turnaround right now so christmas present for the pico residents). I plan on running clear fx pro in one instead of the chemipure elite because I felt like I had more success with that in the big tank. Probably run just carbon in the 2nd to change it out more often. No big changes in the tank itself. That bright green acro is starting to encrust further on the plug though so, success.

Last edited:
OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a new tool to help with that TERRIBLE hard algae speckling on the front glass. Not sure what species it is but the little magnet cleaner just couldn't keep up, and the snails made little trails through it. This thing is nice and compact, and it retracts in for storage when you're not using it. It's also short enough I could get in the curves of the front with minimal issue.

Made by Seachem, if you have a pico and need glass scraping tools I can definitely recommend it. Everyone's a little antsy from me scraping so I'll post an after photo once they settle down.
PXL_20201211_183237195.jpg

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks really fantastic! I’m so glad Buddha is still in there. Your coral looks like it’s doing really well.
Drilling all the holes made a big difference! I'm glad I'm able to keep him in

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at this clean front glass! Look at that neon green acro starting to spread at the base (esp vs the photo on Nov 14 up above)!

PXL_20201212_134808425.jpg
Whats the purple and green coral it really fits right there

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back