OP
danieyella

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the rfa thread you talked about your spawning if I remember right. I just ordered some this year.
There definitely was some spawning action. I still haven't found babies - everyone over in that corner freaked out around the time we expected to see them -- all the rfas in the other area were fine. I'm not sure if a fish or my cleaner shrimp was harassing them. I think that possibly my filefish found and ate the babies?? They're all back to normal now, but no small ones unless they're deep in the rock :(

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There definitely was some spawning action. I still haven't found babies - everyone over in that corner freaked out around the time we expected to see them -- all the rfas in the other area were fine. I'm not sure if a fish or my cleaner shrimp was harassing them. I think that possibly my filefish found and ate the babies?? They're all back to normal now, but no small ones unless they're deep in the rock :(
Well I hope you find some. How long did you have them before you saw a spawn? Do you feed your rfa?

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I hope you find some. How long did you have them before you saw a spawn? Do you feed your rfa?

I target feed them about once every 2 weeks. What I use to feed varies. They get some pretty good crossflow in the tank and I keep easybooster on a doser so that pumps in daily for broadcast feeding, as well as whatever concoction I throw in for the fish. I'm a big fan of aqua edibles super eggs for them actually. Mine seem to happily shuffle that to their mouths when presented. They also get a lot of coral feast.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also probably about 6 months to the first and only time I witnessed a spawn.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
M
I target feed them about once every 2 weeks. What I use to feed varies. They get some pretty good crossflow in the tank and I keep easybooster on a doser so that pumps in daily for broadcast feeding, as well as whatever concoction I throw in for the fish. I'm a big fan of aqua edibles super eggs for them actually. Mine seem to happily shuffle that to their mouths when presented. They also get a lot of coral feast.
I've seen mine take chucks of fish food. Never really target feed. Hmm I might have to start.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen mine take chucks of fish food. Never really target feed. Hmm I might have to start.
Definitely makes a difference. I have a couple that I can't reach to target and they're much smaller in comparison.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait a minute are we talking about RFA's?
20201208_194857.jpg

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DIY should work fine, mine try to take the meatier chunks that hit them but the cleaner shrimp or canary wrasse usually snag them before they can do much with them. Smaller bits move faster.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think designer rfas count in this conversation.
There are deep water and shallow. Yours are shallow. The shallow rfa have some really cool patterns. If any of my lfs had some I would grab some. They don't sell as well as the deep water thus they don't carry them. :(

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your in flordia I think you can collect them from the ocean
Ah yes, probably. I'm pretty much always in a state of "healing tattoo" though and turns out the FL sun and oceanwater aren't great for that.... Not to mention I'm on the gulf and it has red tide half the year.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah yes, probably. I'm pretty much always in a state of "healing tattoo" though and turns out the FL sun and oceanwater aren't great for that.... Not to mention I'm on the gulf and it has red tide half the year.
That would sting a little. Not to mention dry out the tats.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eventually I'll run out of space. Saltwater wasn't enough of a money suck for me so I started collecting skin art as well. Actually reverse that, the tattoo collection started first. Hey at least it's not drugs.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eventually I'll run out of space. Saltwater wasn't enough of a money suck for me so I started collecting skin art as well. Actually reverse that, the tattoo collection started first. Hey at least it's not drugs.
Thats why there is always another tank. Its a lot like skin art. There's always room for more. May just have to get creative.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 22 17.1%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 55 42.6%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 17 13.2%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 28 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 5.4%

Back