Lifereef SVS3-24 big enough?

Davileet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 250 gallon display tank and I am searching for a good skimmer to purchase. My sump doesn't have a huge amount of room, so choices are narrow. I have always had hit or miss luck with protein skimmers and seem to never be able to get them right. Ease of use setting up and having success is a big priority.

I have been thinking about the Lifereef 24" with a Sicce pump, but I am unsure if this will be efficient enough for my larger system. I also believe that my sump could handle a RO 250SSS. Which is my best option?

Any opinions and suggestions would be appreciated.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My svs2-24 I believe is rated up to the 250ish gallon range. Best bet otherwise is simply ask Jeff his thoughts. He seems to be pretty fair and give appropriate advice.

In any regard, its probably the best skimmer I've owned and I've paid up to 800 for skimmers in the past. LR just doesn't look as flashy.

YankeeTankee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably if you also have other filtration ie socks. Is your tank heavily stocked?

It's a good skimmer and I agree with T5, give lifereef a call.

OP
OP
Davileet

Davileet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have any filter socks, but I do have some macro algae on the other side of my sump. I feed 2 cubes of fish every day or two. I have 6-8 fish usually.

U

User1

View Badges
Second and third. Give Jeff a call. Honestly best 10 minutes you will spend and will probably save you money in the long run. Actually, give yourself a bit more time as he likes to talk :) It is a good thing.

I will say that it will meet your needs and actually be used in the future should you upgrade. I purchased one back in 1999 for my 100 gallon. Had a tank crash while on vacation due to energy manipulations / ENRON / brownouts tripping an AC breaker so put it away for several years. Brought it out 2 years ago for my 210 gallon upgrade and it is working amazingly well.

I called Jeff about the skimmer, if he made any changes, he asked me my name, looked up what he sold me, and said no. It is the same outside one or two quality of life changes but more or less what he sales today. Talking about honesty in reefing and business. He could have said no, this is better. But didn't.

I ended up calling him a couple months later and bought a refugium. Just can't beat his business nor his skimmer. The skimmers are just rock solid and last forever. Best piece of equipment I've purchased in this hobby to date.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with @saf1 post. Read online the sicce 7 pump is a sweet upgrade for it in any case. Plan on doing that at some point, but for now, no reason.

CJBuckeyes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the svs3-24 and am upgrading to a 225g as we speak. I'm planning to use this skimmer as is, it's more than up to the job in my opinion. I think there are more issues with over-skimming / exporting too much resulting in zero nutrient tank with Dinos. The good news is that this skimmer is expandable, so you add a neck extension and larger pump easily if you're not getting the performance you need.

OP
OP
Davileet

Davileet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spoke with Jeff and ended up swinging for the Lifereef. Now I just need to decide which pump to go with.

Is it worth it to upgrade to the Sicce and possibly others, or just go with the Mag 9.5/18?

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go sicce adv 7 and skip the mag, mostly because it's more power and half the energy use.

GQuinn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my 24” Lifereef with Sicce ADV 7.0 in my basement sump.
1D777F6C-0F74-4B24-B444-07CAC2FB7042.jpeg

OP
OP
Davileet

Davileet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing that picture. I am working on placing an order for the Sicce pump now. How large is your system?

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will love the skimmer. Get the one that can be expanded if needed in the future. One thing I will say about the mag pump 36 I run is it’s noisey. I think the sicce is a wise choice.
Jim

GQuinn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing that picture. I am working on placing an order for the Sicce pump now. How large is your system?
My tank is a 150 and I have a 120 as a sump in the basement. The 120 is over 2/3 full of water

OP
OP
Davileet

Davileet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will love the skimmer. Get the one that can be expanded if needed in the future. One thing I will say about the mag pump 36 I run is it’s noisey. I think the sicce is a wise choice.
Jim

Jeff had the non-expandable one ready to ship, so that is the one I went for. My gut said to get the expandable one, but where the tank is now, and having kids, I don't see the wife allowing me to make the skimmer external. I figured if I need it bigger, these skimmers have good resale value if I need to upgrade.

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to own the 48" model. They are not bad skimmers. Definitely would not buy a new one but since you did you should get a reliable DC pump so you have better control from the skimmer.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lifereef seems to go in phases. The cup will fill with very dry and dark thick skimmate in a couple days and it’ll refill several times, then suddenly out of nowhere it’ll go a month or two and not produce an ounce. Nothing.

OP
OP
Davileet

Davileet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lifereef seems to go in phases. The cup will fill with very dry and dark thick skimmate in a couple days and it’ll refill several times, then suddenly out of nowhere it’ll go a month or two and not produce an ounce. Nothing.

I feel like this has been my experience with most skimmers. Never had much luck with anything that you just leave alone and it does its job constantly. I guess time will tell here.

Do you think by chance that there just isn't anything to remove when it dries up?

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kind of have the same issue going on , the skimmer seems to cycle through more foam and skim mate and then takes a break . I was thinking same thing , that is just doesn't have much to skim sometimes . I started running my tank with no filter socks to allow the skimmer to get more raw water to skim

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back